Stock wheels on 2006 Ody have turned to garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the clear coat on the 2006 Honda Odyssey alloy wheels just in the last few months has really completely and very nastily given up the ghost. Peeling, flaking, white yellow. Last year they looked a little hazy, this year complete poop. Didn't not make it to the 9 year mark. Not sure if that qualifies as a failure, but if you look at them they scream FAILURE. I don't want to post a picture for fear it will break the camera and my PC.

There will be no cure. They must be stripped. What are my options here? Aircraft paint stripper? Ideas!

Problem solved.
grin.gif

DSC02537.jpg

I would be looking for a shop that can re finish the wheel. They have a type of spray on powder coating that looks like chrome at some shops. It can also come in "black" chrome, although most of those shops are out in Cali.

Depending on the design, you can wire brush them with a drill and by hand as Al is pretty soft. Spray bomb them with paint and a wheel clear coat. Looks fine to me atleast, not factory but decent enough.

Did you use wheel cleaner on them? Some of those are pretty harsh and can be hard on the clearcoat over time. I just use car wash soap after I'm done washing the car as it is mild and works fine if you don't let them get too dirty between washes.

If the clear is peeling I'd strip it off before trying refinish. Maybe a chemical stripper and an attachment on the drill for the tight spots. If it's just discoloration I'd just scuff em and paint them or give plasti-dip a try.

Originally Posted By: RhondaHonda
Did you use wheel cleaner on them? Some of those are pretty harsh and can be hard on the clearcoat over time.

+1 That is the only possible explanation; otherwise you would have plethora of housewives (or the equivalent emasculated Ody owners (!) whining about it on OdyClub forum.

Do tell us what you have used so that we can avoid it religiously. Did you by any chance used some cleaner which was "safe for mag/al wheels"?

If you want to avoid the same fate to your new Subie, throw any wheel cleaner that you have it in the garage now.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vikas
Originally Posted By: RhondaHonda
Did you use wheel cleaner on them? Some of those are pretty harsh and can be hard on the clearcoat over time.

+1 That is the only possible explanation; otherwise you would have plethora of housewives (or the equivalent emasculated Ody owners (!) whining about it on OdyClub forum.

Do tell us what you have used so that we can avoid it religiously. Did you by any chance used some cleaner which was "safe for mag/al wheels"?

If you want to avoid the same fate to your new Subie, throw any wheel cleaner that you have it in the garage now.

You, my friend are full of doo-doo. Sorry to disappoint. I've never used any wheel cleaner on any car. I've never really looked at 2004-2007 Ody wheels on other cars, but I did search the Ody Club since you brought it up. Yep, real problem. And you don't have to worry about my WRX. 0-3.

No I'm not spending money on aftermarket wheels well unless I can find a deal. Pro refinishing is probably going to be expensive as well.

So what kind of strippers do you guys recommend? I have Dipped items before, maybe I'll do the wheels. The nice thing is I won't have to dismount the tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back