Stock Market correction?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not dooming-n-glooming, but is anyone besides me preparing for the next 3-400 point correction?

I knew darn good and well back in the end of April that 11,600 was waaaaay too high for the DJIA. I KNEW something was gonna happen. I just hesitated 3 days too much and ended up losing some money.

I think that a 4 month rebound of 500+ points is kinda scarey. 11,400 is on the edge if you ask me.

http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Sto...5215CC5-CB0D-49A3-BEED-1BA31E146A98}&dist=bnb

quote:

THE FED
Strong U.S. productivity to continue: Bernanke

PrintE-mailDisable live quotesRSSDigg itDel.icio.usBy Greg Robb, MarketWatch
Last Update: 12:37 PM ET Aug 31, 2006

WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) - The strong increase in productivity, or output per hour of work, seen over the past decade is likely to continue for some time, Fed chief Ben Bernanke said Thursday.
"A case can be made that the strong productivity growth of the post-1995 era is likely to continue for some time," Bernanke said. Read his prepared remarks.
Strong productivity gains allow the economy to grow fast without inflationary pressures building.
Productivity, an vital economic concept that remains elusive to gauge accurately, is important because it is the only source of improvement in U.S. living standards over the long-run.
After sluggish gains in the 1970s and '80s, productivity accelerated to average about 2.5% per year beginning in the mid-1990s. Productivity has averaged 3.1% during this recovery.
The revised productivity figures for the second quarter will be released next Wednesday.
Recent government revisions to the national income and product accounts have shown productivity growth over the past few years to be slightly weaker than previously thought, but Bernanke said he was cautiously optimistic that the longer-term rate of productivity growth could remain at roughly 2.5% per year.
The conventional wisdom says that the rise in the use of computers by manufacturers and business in general lies behind the impressive gains in output.
But in his speech to the Leadership South Carolina in Greenville, Bernanke suggested the conventional wisdom may not tell the entire story.
Bernanke said the answer to the productivity puzzle may be the investment in "intangible" capital that accompanied the widespread use of computers into the workplace.
This would help explain why productivity continued to soar after spending on high-tech equipment plunged after the dot.com bubble burst in 2000.
To make effective use of technology, "managers must supplement their purchases of new equipment with investments in firm- or industry-specific research and development, worker training, and organizational redesign," he said.
Bernanke did not address the economic outlook or factors that might impact the Federal Reserve at its next meeting to set monetary policy on Sept. 20. Read MarketWatch's comprehensive Fed coverage.
Many economists believe the Fed will hold rates steady for the second straight meeting to get a better sense of where the economy is headed over the next 18 months. See full story.
Bernanke is in South Carolina to be honored Friday by his hometown of Dillon, located on the I-95 corridor near the border with Georgia. He will receive the Order of the Palmetto, the state's highest honor.

I think the tell all story is in long term interest rates. Investors in US treasuries don't forsee good times ahead, as rates are even more inverted than a year ago. My high yield online money market account just went down .25% in yield, darn it. The Fed is forecast to let up on the reigns.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:

Bernanke is in South Carolina to be honored Friday by his hometown of Dillon, located on the I-95 corridor near the border with Georgia. He will receive the Order of the Palmetto, the state's highest honor.

Gee, Wix has a production plant in Dillon, SC. Wonder if he'd like to visit?

I think it's bound to drop. For that reason, I pulled out all my cash and put into to securities. That was two weeks ago. If I'd have left it alone, well.....I don't want to talk about it. It will be interesting to see what happens next week when all the major investors come back from summer vacations. The actual volume has been really low, not a whole bunch of activity. With some of the bad news out there, I thought it would drop. It didn't. Go figure. But historically, the market has always been up the few days before and after Labor day. I'm just going to sit and wait.

A 300-400 point "correction" is nothing more than a fluctuation when the Dow Jones Industrial Average (DJIA) is above 11,000. That's only a 3-4% change. Big deal.

What you should be scared of is a true correction that would be in the thousands of points: say, 4,000-5,000. Or more. I think it's coming. There are simply too many contraindicators in the US economy: too much national and consumer debt, declining incomes, jobs going overseas, too many imports displacing US production, permanent fuel price increases, and the sudden bubble burst of the last major area that had room to expand in value, housing. This is not intended to be political, just a statement of fact. No matter who was in DC, this would have happened because of the unprecedented power corporations have today and the present geopolitical situation: China and India would still need lots of oil, and so forth. To be blunt: the US economy is in decline.

And we haven't even considered the future ramifications of the peak oil scenario, which is probably overblown, but it's clear that the cheap oil days are quickly waning. Guess what effect all of this will have on stocks long-term.

Similar declines have happened before. It took 25 years for the DJIA to recover fully from the 1929 crash, not accounting for inflation. In 1966 the average brushed 1,000 but had declined below 700 by mid-1969. That's a correction of over 30%. In 1972 the DJIA hit 1,000 again but went below 600 just a few years later, a 40+% correction. Those are the kinds of numbers in % I'm talking about. 300-500 points or just a few percent? Penny ante.

The average has been fluctuating between about 10,000 and where it is now for the last few years. This is the "best"-case scenario and is similar to the stagflation era from 1966-1982, when the DJIA finally exceeded 1,000 to stay (apparently). Do not expect any massive increases in the average as we saw in the 1990s. We will be lucky to stay in place, hence my calling the apparent plateau we have now the best case. Many of the indicators and trends in the US economy parallel those of 1973-1982, and I suspect we're entering another era of stagflation. If so, the Dow will behave the same as it did then, making no real gains for years.

Keep in mind as well that the DJIA is increasingly an artificial number bearing little real resemblance to the actual stock prices of the 30 blue-chip companies it is based on. Various multipliers have been applied over the years as companies moved in and out of the selected 30, and the current situation is that a small actual change in a few stocks translates into a much larger (disproportionate) change in the average. In other words, the Dow numbers are cooked anyway.

Not what you wanted to hear, but simply my $0.02 worth. If I had money invested in the stock market, I wouldn't be keeping it there. But I've always considered the stock market simply a form of legal gambling anyway.

I'm seeing little signs and indications that the dollar is worth less than it used to be.

But the good news is..DVD players are cheaper than they used to be, so by that measure, we're doing really well.

I never really understood the concept of a stock market "correction". How did it get "un-corrected" to begin with? What can't the Wall Street genuises "correct" the market as we go? I think I'll tell my boss every 3 months or so that I'm taking some extra days off as "time correction".

To be blunt: the US economy is in decline.

...and has been since 1973... Sure it "grew" ..but always had a dilution factor that was masked by the growth. The market grew due to people putting their retirement into it ..and they got burned ..on average ..or at best got a reasonable rate of return. It looks good in a "full tank" kinda way ..until you exhaust the supply. There's no breeder reactor for wealth.

When you import more then you export in $$$ ..you're in decline ...no two ways about it. We've been doing that for decades. It's just now gotten to the point that you couldn't ignore it.

The reason we can exist as a nation of managers and run huge trade defecits is because we have countries like China buying up our debt. So long as that keeps happening, I dont forsee a big multi-thousand point correction coming... Of course we need to continue to show force and show that we keep people in line and that small nations should want to do business with us... and then the cycle continues. So long as plaes like China know that we are protecting their oil, they will continue to finance our trade defecit and allow our nation of managers to continue to be viable... keeping the status quo. were relian on them, theyre reliant on us, and so long as balance is kept, all is well.

And for the forseeable future, as the cycle continues, all is well.

JMH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back