Stirring something up

Status
Not open for further replies.
i buy whatever is the cheapest, in the lowest octane.

every once in a while i mix a tank of 10:1 gas/diesel mix. diesel is the best thing in the world for cleaning out carbon deposits.

after that brew, my piston tops are clean enough to read the words off them. and the diesel makes a nifty smell (i love the smell of diesel exhaust!)

lately, i have been expiermenting with 2stroke oil as a cylinder lubircant.

Cheapest lowest octane no name junk I can use with Fuel Power or Nuetra and not have the computer retard timing throughout RPM range.

Confirmed with periodic oil analysis.

Used to like Chevron but the techron is too expensive and at too low of levels in their regular grades.

In the small town I live in, I only have a few choices: Speedway, Clark, Meijer (grocery store), and Shell. Speedway has really given me some problems, so I ended up at Shell, using 89 in both cars, and it works much better. I have been using Lucas cleaner every 5-6k miles, and am itching to try Neutra...

I will say this, after the AutoRx the turdbo isn't so picky anymore.

So now that Shell has "takenover" all the Texaco stations in the PNW, you think the fuel is different
rolleyes.gif
cool.gif

Got the Shell card out (never had a Tex card) on Saturday, filled the tank with premium (yeah I know) - Card originally issued in 1984, haven't used it in years, I wonder if the bill will go to Patman's house or buster....
grin.gif

I'm using excusively Petro-Canada 87 octane. They give some point that I use to buy their engine oil.Never had a problem.

I fuel sometime at Pioneer, honestly I can't tell the difference.

Injector cleaner just before every oil change

I've been using Esso in both of my cars, for a number of reasons. One, convenience, since they outnumber every other station around my area. Two, I love their Speedpass and the corresponding Esso Points system which ends up giving me about 20 to 25 free car washes each year (which I happily use up during the winter!) Another reason, which won't apply soon, is the fact that they offer 92 octane gas, versus 91 from the others, unless I use Sunoco gas but their ethanol blend results in 2MPG less in every car I've tried it in. But Esso now has relabelled all their pumps as 91 octane, and a friend of mine who works at Esso's head office says they will begin phasing in 91 octane this fall.

I run their premium in my Firebird, except in the winter months I use 89. And I always run 87 in the Honda.

In California, it doesn’t matter much. There are only a few (actually 13) refineries making all the base fuel, which is standardized by the California Air Resouces Control Board (CARB). Here in Fresno, the fuel serving all the stations within the vicinity comes into town via pipeline into one fuel depot (Benito Inc.). At the Benito distribution center, each respective fuel company blends their additive package (which is also regulated for deposit control) into the bulk fuel as the fuel is being pumped into the tanker truck. Gasoline in the Fresno area comes mostly from Shell and Kern Oil out of Bakersfield. The bottom line is that all the fuel is essentially the same regardless of brand, but the additive packages of each fuel RGO (retail gasoline outlet) are proprietary. Interestingly, you will often see a Texaco tanker fueling a Mobil station (or name your brand either way). Tankers for rent?

I can now say that in my area, Chevron premium is better than Shell premium in the 1985 245Ti.

Shell=ping at WFO
Chevron=zero, zip nothing but fun a WFO

Same stretch of road, same weather, same time of day, same oil...

Cheapest in my area is Arco 87 octane unleaded. My Sonata sings with it, starts immediately hot or cold, and the mileage is great. No supplemental fuel or oil additives. That's all I ever used in my '96 Accord, and it sailed right through its last bi-annual California emissions test shortly before I bought the '03 Sonata. Anecdotal, and un-scientific, but that there's my experience.

I use shell exclusively in my vehicles. Shell is the only major gas brand in my area that doesn't use ethanol in their gas, and my vehicles seem to run more efficiently on it vs. the others. Chevron is not available here, but I have used it when I go out of state, and it seems to work just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back