Still see old and new forumlations of Mobil1 on the shelf. Which to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
I'm honestly not sure how to tell if you have an early batch or new batch of SuperSyn, however I think the "bad" batch was pretty small.

SuperSyn is without a doubt better than TriSyn, so don't even bother with the TriSyn.

The new stuff did lack moly at first, this is true, but again, not sure how many were like this.

I believe the SuperSyn formula came out in April 2002.

Sorry that I answered your questions out of order, but I'm too lazy to go retype it.
smile.gif

Here is a way P

....but this only works for the 10W-30 though. Just go by the label....they re-worded it (I know you know this). The new labels now say "Multi-Vehicle Formula" instead of the old "High Mileage Formula"
This will definitely ensure the latest formula.
Rick

So the two 5 qt bottles of SuperSyn 10w30 I just purchased from Walmart that say High Mileage Formula is really Tri-Syn without the Moly?

[ January 05, 2003, 01:42 PM: Message edited by: Giles ]

quote:

Originally posted by Giles:
So the two 5 qt bottles of SuperSyn 10w30 I just purchased from Walmart that say High Mileage Formula is really Tri-Syn without the Moly?

No, it's not Tri-Syn at all. It MAY be SuperSyn without the moly. Only way to know for sure is to do a VOA.

quote:

Originally posted by XHVI:

quote:

Originally posted by Giles:

No, it's not Tri-Syn at all. It MAY be SuperSyn without the moly. Only way to know for sure is to do a VOA.

Exactly!!!!!!

Interesting that they don't consider Moly as part of the "SuperSyn" formulation. I think I will do a VOA on it just to find out.

FWIW,

I have been purchasing the M1 10W30 "High Mileage" and Multi-Vehicle formulas since May of 2002 and all have tested with moly, about 80 ppm on the average, +, - 8 ppm.

I have a 5 qt. jug of 5W30 M1 SS MV but have never tested nor run it as yet.

In browsing the oil displays at auto parts stores I see both TriSyn and SuperSyn Mobil1.

1. How long has the newer variety been available?

2. Wasn't the new one lacking moly at first and wasn't it eventually added?

3. Which of the two varieties is "best"?

4. How could one determine that the SuperSyn on the shelf is the most current formulation?

SuperSync is the latest formula and has Moly in it. It is the best of the two and one of the best out there among all oils. It has been out for around a year.

[ January 05, 2003, 12:41 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

I'm honestly not sure how to tell if you have an early batch or new batch of SuperSyn, however I think the "bad" batch was pretty small.

SuperSyn is without a doubt better than TriSyn, so don't even bother with the TriSyn.

The new stuff did lack moly at first, this is true, but again, not sure how many were like this.

I believe the SuperSyn formula came out in April 2002.

Sorry that I answered your questions out of order, but I'm too lazy to go retype it.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back