Still Feeling Like I Need / Want an OCI

Since I got the Prius almost 3 years ago I've been told to run only synthetic 0w20 so I do.
I thought I was going to go to one OCI per year but I get ants in my pants at around 6 months and it doesn't seem like I'll ever stop the 2 OCI per year habit, even when I only drive about 4k miles a year.
I did my last OCI about a month ago, with new PP FS 0w20 and the same Fram filter, that I drained and re installed. I've ran a round magnet the diameter of the Fram for years, and I forgot to put it back on the filter and I drove the car without the magnet for an hour before I realized I didn't put it back on the filter. If there was anything stuck to the bottom of the filter, it may have got circulated into the oil flow. This is the first time I've ever reused an oil filter (I only had about 1,800 miles on it, in 6 months), and I don't think I ever will again.
I noticed that the oil is not so clean this time as it is when I use a new filter, which is why it seems a bit pointless to change the oil and use the same filter for 6 more months. It's usually so clean when I change it that I have trouble seeing the oil level on the dipstick.
I will change the oil as well as the filter in the springtime, if I can make it that long, and from now on, I think I'll do 6 month OCI with new oil and new filter.
I have that urge to change the oil again now, with new oil as well as a new filter.

I also don't plan to use the magnet on the end of my oil filters any more.
That seems like it doesn't amount to much.

I hear you. I had a hard time letting the wife's Prius go past 5k miles. She mostly drives highway miles so it is a perfect candidate for extended oil change intervals. Maybe someday I'll make it to 10k miles like it calls for in the owners manual. I've been splitting the difference and changing at 7.5k.

It's your car so do what makes you feel good.
This ^^^^^^^^^^

It's your car and no one here is going to be able to convince you to do less to it, and remain as comfortable by not doing it. Oil and filters are cheap. And the time it takes you to do an oil and filter change is free.

Right now you feel as though you need to change it..... Or else you're not changing it enough. Then do it when YOU THINK you need to. The only reason you really need at this point, is that immediately after you do it, you'll feel better. That's more than reason enough. The car has no feelings.

Removing, draining, and reinstalling a filter is more of a waste of time than changing oil based on 6 months of S/S …
(and increases risk of a leak etc) …
What’s it hold anyway … 1 jug … go for it …

You're experiencing a phenomena I am all too familiar with.. OCD on OCI.

You have described the situation with your Prius and do whatever you feel is best, as stated.

For me, the itch happens when you know you've got a decent amount of oil 🛢 in a reserve, and it's just sitting there. You know or at least surmise that new, clean oil should outperform and better protect whatever has been circulating and perhaps gathering contaminants, maybe even darkening in color, fuel dilution could be the killer on a longer OCI if it is there. So you think.. "I could change this oil!" Sort of like the money burning a hole in your pocket like we were told when we were kids.

5000 miles OCI.. is probably honestly a great time to be thinking about if you want to change it or not. Everyone will have a different answer. Highway drives, light on oil driving.. could probably go waaaaay longer (like the advertised 20,000 miles in previously a Mobil 1 product, I believe Annual Protection which I think flopped as AP, and presently Supertech full synthetic.) But that's likely absent of ANY aggrating factors. The psychological side of "I could change that oil" and, as previously stated by I believe @4WD It is only one jug on that car, and many older ones. Or not much more than 4-6 quarts...... which would be a little more than one jug if we are still doing 5 quart jugs, which I'm seeing less and less 6 quart boxes 📦 on shelves so.. yeah.

I call it OCD on the OCI.

Some of us have it bad and get the itch around 1000 miles or so, maybe talked in to keeping the filter the same for awhile... but I don't know who has it that bad. 😗 Me, personally, I've just been monitoring the level to see if I have a consumption or leak issue... so that has let me not be changing the oil as much and, as per usual, even a LITTLE bit and I mean a SMALL amount of HPL product in there (not a full sump) seems to be producing smoother operation.. psychology? Placebo? Or actual cleaning in 100-300 miles from "Just a dab will do ya" ... in any case, running like a top and that has also helped me cool it on changing the oil. Which is exactly why I got a Fumoto valve, by the way...

Maybe I could organize local meetings to talk about this problem lol 🤣😍😍 perhaps even those that are Anonymous.. "HI Bob!"

Identify with this so much, lol. My conundrum (first world problems) is to let my let my OCI go to 6200 miles so I can make it a nice even 10k on the odometer, or stick to my plan to not exceed 5k and then fret over it for the next year that my multiple of 5k interval is off. 🤣
Yes, I know I’ve got issues.

Identify with this so much, lol. My conundrum (first world problems) is to let my let my OCI go to 6200 miles so I can make it a nice even 10k on the odometer, or stick to my plan to not exceed 5k and then fret over it for the next year that my multiple of 5k interval is off. 🤣
Yes, I know I’ve got issues.
See, I’d have done two 3100 OCI’s. And you think you have it bad. And I use Amsoil SS. If you have issues, what do I have?;)

A friend changes the oil in his 2019 Harley Roadglide every 1500 miles and he uses Amsoil Vtwin at around $65.00 a gallon. I’ve contemplated asking him if he would fill a jug of his used oil up for me so I could use it in my Superglide but I’m afraid then we would have to have “the talk”. We’ve known each other since we were 12 years old and we’re both 70 now so…………….

Back