Still Another Mobil 0w-20 Oil -- What Is This?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was studying some of the Exxon-Mobil SDSs, and one of my searches on their site produced this result. Notice the one that I've got highlighted. It does not appear to be marketed in the US, and a bit of further research seems to indicate that it's a UK-only product. The limited "stats" that appear on the EM site don't appear to reveal anything unusual, except that it's probably NOT one of the PAO-rich formulations (like AP and EP).

[Linked Image]

This is just an "academic" question, but does anyone see something special about this "apparent UK only" product that I'm missing (I'm no chemical engineer, of course!)? Mobil's description of the product appears here.

Seems like a branding exercise-- something they can offer dealers, quick lubes, and chain stores that won't directly compete with their halo brands. I bet Toyota and Honda dealers are screaming for a cheap bulk 20-weight.

Look at Pennzoil dumping all their extra gas-to-liquid synthetic base stocks in "regular" Pennzoil just to get rid of it. XOM may be meeting different price points because they have the ability to do so.

Last edited:
It's also available in Canada. Mobil Super 3000 here tends to be bulk only products. The current Mobil LL-01 offering in Canada is also Super 3000. The 0w-20 in this thread shows up on my Imperial Oil sell sheets as a 205 litre drum only.

Makes sense, thanks. That will help quell the urge to go check obscure stores for this "unicorn" 0w-20. OCD (Oil Compulsive Disorder) can be a powerful thing. . .
wink.gif

Originally Posted by ekpolk
Makes sense, thanks. That will help quell the urge to go check obscure stores for this "unicorn" 0w-20. OCD (Oil Compulsive Disorder) can be a powerful thing. . .
wink.gif

Haha I thought I was the only one who did that,hit up all the obscure hidden off the beaten path stores looking for undiscovered gems :^D I remember a few years ago walking into a small country town Walmart and they had every weight of Pennzoil Ultra fully stocked!!

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
Facebook is scary. Not ten minutes after opening and reading this thread for the first time, this popped up on my feed.

They're watching. They know your every thought. Nothing is hidden. . .

Sleep well!
wink.gif

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
. . .I remember a few years ago walking into a small country town Walmart and they had every weight of Pennzoil Ultra fully stocked!!

You really never know what you'll find if you take the time to wander into places like "Bob Smith Auto Parts*", especially if Mr. Smith is in business and has managed to survive without chain affiliation. Nothing really wrong with the chains, they have their place, but they're much more controlled from "headquarters." It's the little guys who what the best potential for harboring "gems" -- in the oil aisle or otherwise. Besides, the hunt is half the fun!

* Totally made up name. . .

Originally Posted by addyguy
Garak got it - its a bulk-only product for garages/service centers up here.

I would lay money on it being what Infiniti/Nissan dealers are carrying up here for 0w-20 oil changes where an owner isn't specifically requesting M1 0w-20.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
. . .I remember a few years ago walking into a small country town Walmart and they had every weight of Pennzoil Ultra fully stocked!!

You really never know what you'll find if you take the time to wander into places like "Bob Smith Auto Parts*", especially if Mr. Smith is in business and has managed to survive without chain affiliation. Nothing really wrong with the chains, they have their place, but they're much more controlled from "headquarters." It's the little guys who what the best potential for harboring "gems" -- in the oil aisle or otherwise. Besides, the hunt is half the fun!

* Totally made up name. . .

Exactly! The hunt is all part of the fun,going from store to store,kind've like a scavenger hunt looking for the hidden treasure
wink.gif

This is Exxon Mobil's full 0W-20 line-up.

Still not on the list are their OEM oils such as TGMO, Nissan Genuine Oil, etc.

TEST MOTOR OIL 0W-20 JASO BC is their highest-PAO-containing 0W-20: 70 - 80% PAO.

https://www.msds.exxonmobil.com/

Code
Material Safety Data Sheets

New Search

Results 1-15 of 15

Product / Trade Name Company Language

MOBIL 1 0W-20 EXXON MOBIL CORPORATION ENGLISH

MOBIL 1 ANNUAL PROTECTION 0W-20 EXXON MOBIL CORPORATION ENGLISH

MOBIL 1 ESP X2 0W-20 EXXON MOBIL CORPORATION ENGLISH

MOBIL 1 EXTENDED PERFORMANCE 0W-20 EXXON MOBIL CORPORATION ENGLISH

MOBIL 1 HIGH MILEAGE 0W-20 EXXON MOBIL CORPORATION ENGLISH

MOBIL 1 TEMPERATURE CONTROL 0W-20 EXXON MOBIL CORPORATION ENGLISH

MOBIL 1 TRUCK & SUV 0W-20 EXXON MOBIL CORPORATION ENGLISH

MOBIL 1 TURBO POWER 0W-20 EXXON MOBIL CORPORATION ENGLISH

MOBIL FF DD 0W-20 EXXON MOBIL CORPORATION ENGLISH

MOBIL FF MB 225.30 0W-20 EXXON MOBIL CORPORATION ENGLISH

MOBIL SUPER 0W-20 EXXON MOBIL CORPORATION ENGLISH

MOBIL SUPER 3000 FORMULA D1 0W-20 EXXON MOBIL CORPORATION ENGLISH

MOBIL SUPER 3000 XE2 0W-20 EXXON MOBIL CORPORATION ENGLISH

MOBIL SUPER SYNTHETIC 0W-20 EXXON MOBIL CORPORATION ENGLISH

TEST MOTOR OIL 0W-20 JASO BC EXXON MOBIL CORPORATION ENGLISH

Originally Posted by Gokhan

As an aside, there is no Nissan Genuine Oil (except the ester stuff which is not pushed here thanks to astronomical pricing). Imperial Oil has the service fill deal with Infiniti/Nissan Canada. They even have shared Mobil-Infiniti/Nissan literature and posters.

Tantalizing! Thank you Gokan. I had already spotted the existence of the "Turbo Power" variety on that pdf "Oil Product Guide" that is reasonably "findable" on EM's site. The "Test" and "Temperature Control" varieties are totally new to me. Ahhh, a great example of answers leading to more questions! I fully expect, just from the marketing "ring" of its name, that we'll see "Turbo Power" appearing in the advertising and on the store shelves some time soon. As for the Test and Temp Control flavors, those seem more mysterious. You think they're "side show" special use oils, or perhaps formulations destined to morph into new marketing forms (e.g. All New!! Mobil-1 Forever Formula... -- or some other such malarky)?

Originally Posted by Garak
As an aside, there is no Nissan Genuine Oil (except the ester stuff which is not pushed here thanks to astronomical pricing). Imperial Oil has the service fill deal with Infiniti/Nissan Canada. They even have shared Mobil-Infiniti/Nissan literature and posters.

Actually, there is. It's called Genuine Nissan Motor Oil 0W-20 -- GNMO 0W-20. It's GTL-based -- impressive 9.9% Noack as a result -- with a dash of Group III.

http://www.jbco.com/_SDS/Nissan Genuine Motor Oil 0W-20.pdf

http://pqiadata.org/Nissan_0W20.html

Actually, there is. It's called Genuine Nissan Motor Oil 0W-20 -- GNMO 0W-20. It's GTL-based -- impressive 9.9% Noack as a result -- with a dash of Group III.

I wasn't very clear. There is none up in Canada. I'm aware it exists, and have read you post on it before, but it's just not up here. In some respects, I'm surprised that it exists and that the Imperial Oil arrangement both still exist in light of what was supposed to be accomplished globally with the Renault Group's lubricant strategy, but I suppose they've got much bigger fish to fry now.
wink.gif

You think they're "side show" special use oils, or perhaps formulations destined to morph into new marketing forms (e.g. All New!! Mobil-1 Forever Formula... -- or some other such malarky)?

Interestingly, if you look at the dates, many of these mysterious new Mobil 1 MSDSs appeared within last eight days!

They are either GTL-based or have PAO in varying degrees.

Some are probably for different countries. The test oil is named JASO, perhaps being developed to be marketed in Japan?
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back