Stihl Synthetic Two-Stroke Oil

The local Stihl dealer tells me that once I switch from the old style oil (orange bottle) to the newer synthetic (white bottle) that I cannot switch back or engine damage will occur. Is there any validity to this, or is it just another oil myth?

I was told the same. In a 2-cycle engine once one has gone to synthetic you have got to stick it. No oging back to conventional. Wonder why?

Why would you want to switch back to dino oil? My sons run Stihl power equipment exclusively. They had to have two of the string trimmers de carbed on dino oil. They converted to Amsoil 100 to 1 mix with absolutely zero carbon issues. They have 2.5 years of service on the older trimmers.

Originally Posted By: wvrailroader
The local Stihl dealer tells me that once I switch from the old style oil (orange bottle) to the newer synthetic (white bottle) that I cannot switch back or engine damage will occur. Is there any validity to this, or is it just another oil myth?
You can switch back, it won't damage your engine. But why would you want to switch back when using a 2cycle synthetic oil. Less headache as less build up. Personally I use the Amsoil 2 cycle oil at 100:1. Serves me well.

He must make a better margin on the synthetic. You can switch whenever you want, however if you make large changes in your oil ratio, you might want to retune the engine.

Wow, I use the Stihl Ultra Syn, but would not hesistate to use the dino in a pinch..... and have done so while working with guys in the field. Keep the air filter clean, proper storage and keeping the high end mixture rich enough, are more important things to worry about.

I have used the orange bottle in my stihl backpack blower since the day I bought it in 1997, its never been touched!,it still starts on the 3rd pull,just like it did when it was new.