Stihl ms170 problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have a new ms170 and the darn thing wont start. It has the stihl brand fuel and all the good stuff. But we cant get it running. Take it to finch services where we bought it and the salesman, after 10 mins gets it running. Bring it home, wont run. I have un-flooded it now 5 times, and the salesman did just as many. Anyone know what is wrong??

Are you pulling it more than once at full choke?

Stihl saws have a very specific starting procedure outlined in the manual. If you are not following that, you will have trouble. If you follow the directions to the letter it rarely takes more than two or three pulls to get them running.

If you are following the instructions and it doesn't start easily, it may need some adjustment.

Ed

Last edited:
I am a new saw owner (echo) and was told to use the primer bulb 4 or 5 times @ cold start. I did that once and found it was almost impossible to start the saw. I now push the bulb once or twice with 2 pulls on choke, I then shut off the choke.

Probably better to stay on the "too little" side than "too much" until you get more acquainted with "what works"

JMO

Originally Posted By: edhackett
Are you pulling it more than once at full choke?

Ed

Yep, the instant it makes any sort of running sound move the master control lever to partial choke.

If you've flooded it you may have to pull/dry the plug.

Stihl saws are notoriously difficult to start. But once you find the correct sequence, it should be fine.

You just need more practice starting it. Every engine has a specific starting sequence that works best for it. Use less primer and less choke, you are flooding it.

Originally Posted By: Joe_Power
Choke lever all the way down. Hold throttle wide open. Pull cord til the saw pops a few times. Switch choke to center position. Hold throttle wide open. Pull cord til it starts. Around 6 pulls total when saw is cold

Yup. I have to start my Homelite weed trimmer in almost the exact sequence. Once you get the hang of the process, it starts very reliably.

If you can't get it going, take it back to the dealer. They should have made sure everything was adjusted properly and running good before you brought it home. Most Stihl dealers are pretty good about that.

When you bought the saw, did the store give you training on the proper technique to start and use it? If they didn't, take it back and ask to be trained on working the saw. Remind them that this is part of their contract with Stihl.

This is one of the reasons that you can't buy a Stihl from a big box store. Every Stihl power tool sold is supposed to include a personal, one on one training, so the new owner is comfortable with how to start and use his/her new tool.

I had the same problem with my MS180 C when it was new. The starting mechanism is different from my other Stihl tools, which both have primer bulbs. The training I got wasn't the best, as the True Value store I bought it from was brand new at selling Stihl, and the guy who trained me had just got back from being trained himself. Since then, I read the manual and have the start method down pat. Never had a problem since, starting from hot or cold.

There is probably nothing wrong with your saw. Read the manual. Get the store to teach you. Practice a few times. And then, you probably will never have another issue.

Could it be cracked fuel line? Saw might run a little but gets air to the carburetor and stops. Unlikely for a new chain saw though...

Originally Posted By: Joe_Power
Choke lever all the way down. Hold throttle wide open. Pull cord til the saw pops a few times. Switch choke to center position. Hold throttle wide open. Pull cord til it starts. Around 6 pulls total when saw is cold

With Stihl, you don't hold the throttle open when starting. Just set the choke and pull. Opening the throttle will drop the choke from 'half on' to off position.

These saws don't have a primer bulb so when the carb is empty of gas it can take a bit to get them primed the first time. Follow the manual works every time for my MS250, never a problem.

I would put a new dry plug in first

1 with a cold engine put choke lever all the way down pull rope till it pop's once.

2 put lever to middle pull rope till it starts.

3 hit throttle should run normal.

Ed has it right again...

It doesn't have a primer bulb.

The "choke lever" is actually the "master control" it has 4 positions. Stop (marked with O), Run (marked with I), half choke (pictogram of half open choke) and full choke (pictogram of closed choke). It should be necessary to hold the throttle open in order to move the master control into choke positions.

Each time I have purchased Stihl equipment it has included detailed starting instructions, which are also included in the owners manual. If you follow them it will start immediately. If you try to start it any other way you will be there all day.

The salient point for my MS170 is take it off of full choke at the slightest hint of a pop or running. My MS170 will start from half choke if the ambient is fairly high.

My stihl weed eater is 5 or so primes, move the lever to the top, a few pulls on the cord, move lever to the middle then pull to start. I also us the stihl fuel.

Is the MS170 made in China?

Or "Assembled in the U.S.A." ?

Last edited:
Put it in start position & choke closed-pull until you hear it fire, then choke to 1/2 position, it'll start. Nurse the throttle to keep it running & turn the choke to off, when it warms up it should idle.

Finally got it running. It took some starter fluid to get going but now its fine. Thanks guy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back