Stihl ms170 opinions!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have now 5 small to medium sized branches and actual trees that have fallen on the property and the electric saw... well is no match. I am strapped for cash now but have about $200 to play with to get a new saw. Would the 170 be adequate for anything about 15 inches and under in diameter?

I actually did at first but I see a few more leaning trees at about 25 degrees
frown.gif
Which is what happened with the 2 full trees that fell.

Rent a $700+ saw for around $85 and get the job done in less time. I end up renting out my big saws every big storm and it's a much better deal if it's a 1 time problem. Makita/Tanaka, Dolmar, Red Max, Stihl, and even Husqvarna all have really nice high end saws. Pick one, pummel it, and give it back.

Originally Posted By: PhilsSmallEngine
even Husqvarna all have really nice high end saws. Pick one, pummel it, and give it back.

If the Op had a XP series Husqvarna this thread would have never existed.

I have a MS171 and have had no issues with it (purchased this past Dec).. it works great.. Light and has cut everything I've thrown at it. This unit replaced an old Pulan Pro 230... , it's leaps and bounds better - IMHO.

What's wrong with the electric saw? With a good sharp chain, it should cut through most anything a gas powered saw would.

On the other hand, your $90 in gift cards should get you the MS170 for under $100 out of pocket and it should be a great saw for occasional tree trimming, storm cleanup, etc. Just remember to keep the chain good and sharp or it won't work any better than what you have now.

Originally Posted By: 123Saab
Probably the best value out there right now in chain saws is the Poulan® Pro PP 5020 AV.

Good read here:
http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/192321.htm.

I bought one a few months ago. It's a bit underpowered for a 20" bar, but overall it does a pretty good job, especially for the price I paid for it. ($170 after Home Depot's price match plus 10% off another store's sale price)

Go for the stihl 170, it's a great little saw, will hold it's value better than anything else offered here and will work just fine. It's perfect for the occasional user who cuts up limbs and detritus from trees after a storm. You're not going to be felling a bunch of redwoods, so you're good to go. Also, if you decide to sell that saw down the road, it's a very popular saw. I've even seen a site where they hot rod the MS170 and 180, so it's pretty popular. If you got Stihl bucks, then you're all set to go, it doesn't get any better than that.

Last edited:
It is a pain getting all the cords out and it has about 50% of the power the 170 has. My neighbor has one and it seems to do the job. And the electric is starting to show its wear. Chain constantly falls off b/c of a broken chain tensioner.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
What's wrong with the electric saw? With a good sharp chain, it should cut through most anything a gas powered saw would.

On the other hand, your $90 in gift cards should get you the MS170 for under $100 out of pocket and it should be a great saw for occasional tree trimming, storm cleanup, etc. Just remember to keep the chain good and sharp or it won't work any better than what you have now.

Originally Posted By: 123Saab
Probably the best value out there right now in chain saws is the Poulan® Pro PP 5020 AV.

Good read here:
http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/192321.htm.

I bought one a few months ago. It's a bit underpowered for a 20" bar, but overall it does a pretty good job, especially for the price I paid for it. ($170 after Home Depot's price match plus 10% off another store's sale price)

I agree on the 20" bar, So I put a 16" on mine and It is doing great with that.

Mine was reconditioned so it was $130.

I leave TruFuel in it so it is always ready to go and starts easy. 40:1.

290q3d4.jpg

I second the poulan pro saw. Stihls are great. I own a few but if all I had to do is what you are doing I would get the poulan. Get a smaller bar for it though. It is a lot bigger saw than the ms170 and just as homeownerish for the same money.

There are some guys on chain saw sites that have gotten them and say they are good for what they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back