Stihl HP Ultra 2 cycle oil - Biodegradable in 21 days????

Hi everyone,
I have been using Stihl HP Ultra (silver bottle) two cycle oil in my power equipment for many years without incident. I recently went to purchase a six pack of the 2.6 oz bottles and I noticed some changes to the formula, I think!
The first thing that I noticed is that it does not mention a fuel stabilizer additive as part of the oil package and the second thing that I noticed is that the Stihl website claims that the oil is biodegradable in 21 days. Here is their exact wording " This fully synthetic oil is also highly biodegradable, degrading by 80% in 21 days. "
Someone posted a question about the 21 day window on the Stihl oil review page, and they responded noting that once the oil is mixed with gas, you have 21 days. Here is the exact response from Stihl
"Hello and thank you for the question. That is after the oil is mixed with the fuel and the mixture is exposed to the atmosphere. Thank you for choosing STIHL!!"

I will not use a gallon of pre mix in a month, so using this oil I assume is no longer an option? I am reading this correctly, right?

What does the collective think of Amsoil Sabre? Other good oils that have a fuel stablizer?

Thank you!

"

As stupid ideas go and based on only the info posted here, I would say that is a belated April 1st joke.

I would not ever want to risk using that product

As stupid ideas go and based on only the info posted here, I would say that is a belated April 1st joke.

I would not ever want to risk using that product
It appears its not a spoof. I don't know what they mean exposed to the atmosphere, its exposed when you mix it and when you pour it. Does it degrade in the can 21days after mixing? I keep a bit on hand in the winter for chainsaws, not sure i'd ever chose this.

Degradation in 21 days means after it's poured and or spilled onto the ground. Saber is ok but I would never run it at 100:1.

Degradation in 21 days means after it's poured and or spilled onto the ground. Saber is ok but I would never run it at 100:1.
Seems reasonable .................. who defines when it has had enough contact with whatever triggers the "degradation" then? .................... if its O2 how is the user confident that the bottle he just picked up didn't have a small leak and what he then pours into whatever piece of equipment doesn't now receive a glob/slew/granulated/powdery of degraded rubbish rather than oil?

I know ............ a.nal beyond belief but then its just little old me.

Seems reasonable .................. who defines when it has had enough contact with whatever triggers the "degradation" then? .................... if its O2 how is the user confident that the bottle he just picked up didn't have a small leak and what he then pours into whatever piece of equipment doesn't now receive a glob/slew/granulated/powdery of degraded rubbish rather than oil?

I know ............ a.nal beyond belief but then its just little old me.
You know that it's sealed whenever you remove the cap and the factory seal that says Stihl on it is intact. You can further tip it upside down with the cap off and squeeze it. If no oil runs out then you know it sealed.

I just ordered a few 2.6 oz bottles of Amsoil Saber, but I will be mixing it at 50:1. Sadly I guess I am finished using Stihl HP oil.

I just ordered a few 2.6 oz bottles of Amsoil Saber, but I will be mixing it at 50:1. Sadly I guess I am finished using Stihl HP oil.
Good idea. I wouldn't feel comfortable using that oil. It very well may be fine to use, but my guess is that any engine damage resulting from using the oil would have them pointing at the stated 21 day time period.

I have used that in my Stihl blower and weedeater. If this is true, I am done. A gallon lasts me much longer than 21 days.
It is going to start degrading in the can also. So is it partially degraded in a week?

They may be saying that based on using E10 gas which is the most common gas nationwide and the lack of a fuel stabilizer in the oil.

First post says no mention of fuel stabilizer in the oil on the bottle.
E10 is the most common fuel at the pump for the average user so saying using it up in 21 days is Stihl covering their butt against any fuel degradation issues and carburetor / warranty issues as per posters quote from the website.
I would not use that stuff period.
Plenty of other good oils out there. I use what I run in my 100+ hp 2 stroke snowmobile engines in my small OPE throw away motors as I buy it by the gallon. My 2 smoke motors only drink E0 also and fuel sits in the gas tank from April to December with no start up issues.
Any quality saw makers synth. oil with a stabilizer should work fine. Even Tractor supply sells VP full synth oil in the small bottle.
I stabilize my mixed fuels anyway regardless if the oil has a stabilizer in it already. 25 yr old Poulan built Craftsman saw is still going strong and starts right up after sitting for 2 yrs. .

I only buy the Stihl oil so they will double my warranty period, it sits on the shelf and I actually use VPs 2 cycle oil instead.

Their response makes no sense whatsoever. There is no biodegradation going on in fuel. You need, you know.....a biome for that to occur. It also shouldn't be biodegrading when exposed to air, unless you have a huge yeast culture floating around just waiting to colonize your fuel container. That 21 day time period should be based off of soil microbes though, which ideally are not in your fuel container.

Now the oil may have a mixed shelf life of 21 days, which would be a pretty poor shelf life, but it is not biodegrading within 21 days mixed in fuel.

Their response makes no sense whatsoever. There is no biodegradation going on in fuel. You need, you know.....a biome for that to occur. It also shouldn't be biodegrading when exposed to air, unless you have a huge yeast culture floating around just waiting to colonize your fuel container. That 21 day time period should be based off of soil microbes though, which ideally are not in your fuel container.

Now the oil may have a mixed shelf life of 21 days, which would be a pretty poor shelf life, but it is not biodegrading within 21 days mixed in fuel.
That makes sense, but a life of 3 weeks once mixed is not good for me.

And yes it is true it does not contain any fuel stabilizer. I have posted my dislike of this oil on this forum before. The only reason why I purchased it is to get the extended warranty.

I sometimes take years to finish off a litre bottle of oil cause I’m always trying other oils. Maybe after a couple years after breaking the seal I’d be left with Stihl Worcestershire sauce.

I read that too while searching for 2-stroke oil during a recent maintenance I just performed on my poulan blower. I decided to run a few tanks of engineered 50:1 pre-mixed fuel. Haven’t yet found a 2-stroke oil I want to use only one appealing now is stp.

I read that too while searching for 2-stroke oil during a recent maintenance I just performed on my poulan blower. I decided to run a few tanks of engineered 50:1 pre-mixed fuel. Haven’t yet found a 2-stroke oil I want to use only one appealing now is stp.
Try Husqvarna XP+, VP syn, or Kawasaki K-Tech. Each of these are FD certified.

Back