Sticking with one brand

I've been an exclusive user of Mobil 1 in everything for the last 37yrs but within the last couple years I have used ST synthetic here and there and have seriously been considering switching my daily drivers over to ST due to the $15 saving and it meets every spec I need and will be plenty fine for 5-7k mile intervals I do.

I do, but the only reason is the Havoline 6qt boxes. I keep one weight and one version for all the cars and call it a done deal.

I stick with the brands that I can get at the lowest prices. If I stick to one brand, it's not due to loyalty, it's for the price. However, I never seem to get the deals that members posted here from places such as Walmart(online) where there are 5 qt jugs for really cheap. But I don't do too bad locally.

Now days it's a different brand every oil change. But previously I found one oil per vehicle and stuck with it as best I could.

First vehicle was Penrite HPR only, second vehicle was always Castrol TXT, next vehicle was Castrol Edge exclusively. But after awhile I realised that the oil formulation was changing every few years, or the product was being superseded, so that I wasn't really running the same oil anymore regardless of my attempts to do so.

I too never stuck to one brand. I use what is both approved and I
feel is 'best' (I know that's discussable) while being still affordable.
That applies to all fluids and filters and most often is car specific.
If there'd be a 'fits all' thing (which I don't think) it's likely Mobil1
oil and a Mann filter IMHO.

I haven't stuck to one brand in decades but have no problem with anyone who does. I used to a very long time ago when their was a difference in oils.
They all protect the same now, the new standards are much more ridged, automobiles too many are a hobby, certainly nothing wrong with doing what brings you satisfaction.

I have run 30 different oils in my Nissan Altima VQ. .
Lots of variety.
Castrol gold and og Pennzoil Ultra had my hand for the first 3 years I had my car.
Though for the most part I have been running Cam2 for about the last 2 years.
With a few Quaker State HM runs too.
It seems to have worked out well judging by the high mileage you've put on your Altima.
I have also ran various oils in all of my vehicles based on sales. I do try to do 2 consecutive
OCI's using the same brand if I have enough of that oil on hand. When I change to a different brand I monitor it for usage a little more closely because I do believe that sometimes a motor may use a little oil until it acclimates to the new formula.

Nice car, old "American muscle". I had an 88 Formula Firebird, triple black with Ws6 suspension and rear gears that deleted the t tops. Loved it till my brother in law totaled it. 😆

Considering how often manufacture / API / ACEA standards change you are never getting the same exact stuff in the bottle for that long. Look at M1 changing up AFEs base oil composition lately.
But M1 is the official engine oil of NASCAR. It must be good stuff. Running M1 and the Fram Ultra will let you car live past the warranty period !!:giggle:

But M1 is the official engine oil of NASCAR. It must be good stuff. Running M1 and the Fram Ultra will let you car live past the warranty period !!:giggle:
Are they running Pennzoil or M1 in their cars. :unsure:
22-Richmond-1.jpg

My Toyota will happily run just about anything so I use whatever name brand synthetic oil is cheapest. Usually that is one brand but occasionally I find a sale/rebate on another brand that is equal or sometimes lower in price than what I normally use. I've used Valvoline FS, M1, PP/PUP, Napa FS, etc. , they are all very good oils for my 7000-mile interval.

I ran Mobil 1 0w-40 exclusively from when I purchased my Infiniti with 42k to when I sold it with 140k. This was mostly down to price (rebate with M1 filter), availability and UOAs I had taken that showed I could run it longer than the factory intervals and it held up well in the VQ35HR. I also ran it in my 3-series when it still had LL-01 approval (actually used it here before the Infiniti) so it was easy to have one oil for everything. Once I got rid of the Infiniti and it "lost" LL-01 I started exploring other options.

Back