Sticking with one brand

Good Afternoon folks. While out in the Carlisle area over thanksgiving the stepdad was moaning that he couldn’t find PYB for his 91’ Firebird “Formula” with the 5.0 engine. I said, I use whatever is on sale or cheapest”. Don’t know if he realizes PUB, QSGB and other Dino oils may be going away. How many of you folks “stick with one brand?

Never stuck to one brand, used to buy (only major brand) based on price but in the last several years, full synthetic was close enough in price to pay a little more for that.

Mostly I get it deeply discounted after a rebate, maxing out the quantity per rebate, have a buffer of spare oil (half dozen gallons or so) so don't have to buy any more till the next deeply discounted deal on it.

Good Afternoon folks. While out in the Carlisle area over thanksgiving the stepdad was moaning that he couldn’t find PYB for his 91’ Firebird “Formula” with the 5.0 engine. I said, I use whatever is on sale or cheapest”. Don’t know if he realizes PUB, QSGB and other Dino oils may be going away. How many of you folks “stick with one brand?
Adam you know I always stick with one Brand the one on sale and hopefully with a rebate!

Last edited:
I don't think it matters (as long as you are using the right API) with modern oils other than regular dino vs synthetic.

In June 2007, when I bought my new 2007 Tacoma, I made that decision.

I decided to use only Mobil 1 in the truck, and I’ve done every oil change myself, with some variant of M1 5W-30 or 10W-30.

I’ve used vanilla, the old Truck & SUV, and, since it had about 70K, it’s had exclusively the EP or AP.

With that truck, it’s worked out very well, as evidenced by the fact that it uses zero oil between 10K OCIs, and the engine, at least by my butt dyno, feels like it hasn’t lost any power since I drove it home from Jonesboogie, Rockansas that day in June 2007.

Now it has >240K. And I do intend to stick with M1, at least on that truck.

These days, however, Im not married to the idea of one specific type or brand or grade. Yall have influenced me somewhat over the years.

Some of you guys advise to use different brands and switch it up beczuse you say that the deposits left behind by one brand can be cleaned up by another brand. I don’t know if that’s necessarily true, especially if you’re using top of the line oil as I like to do, but it does make sense.

The 4Runner has had Valvoline Modern Engine and M1-AP 0W-20, and currently it’s 7K into a planned 10K run of M1-EP 10W-30 that I got for $9/jug after rebate. It will likely see many different oils. I’ll use whatever top-quality full synth that I can get a deal on.

In June 2007, when I bought my new 2007 Tacoma, I made that decision.

I decided to use only Mobil 1 in the truck, and I’ve done every oil change myself, with some variant of M1 5W-30 or 10W-30.

I’ve used vanilla, the old Truck & SUV, and, since it had about 70K, it’s had exclusively the EP or AP.

With that truck, it’s worked out very well, as evidenced by the fact that it uses zero oil between 10K OCIs, and the engine, at least by my butt dyno, feels like it hasn’t lost any power since I drove it home from Jonesboogie, Rockansas that day in June 2007.

Now it has >240K. And I do intend to stick with M1, at least on that truck.

These days, however, Im not married to the idea of one specific type or brand or grade. Yall have influenced me somewhat over the years.

Some of you guys advise to use different brands and switch it up beczuse you say that the deposits left behind by one brand can be cleaned up by another brand. I don’t know if that’s necessarily true, especially if you’re using top of the line oil as I like to do, but it does make sense.

The 4Runner has had Valvoline Modern Engine and M1-AP 0W-20, and currently it’s 7K into a planned 10K run of M1-EP 10W-30 that I got for $9/jug after rebate. It will likely see many different oils. I’ll use whatever top-quality full synth that I can get a deal on.
I asked stepdad “so if you had not bought moms Mercedes’ SUV and your E350 sport sedan, what oil would you use?”

He was stumped; I said “Woody (first name is Charles and last name is Wood), go with whatever synthetic is on sale at Wal Mart”. It’s that easy. He says “good point”

I prefer Mobil1 and I stick with it, although when I first bought the Camry I used some Castrol EP for a relatively short drain and fill. But since then, exclusively M1 EP, and my previous car used M1 "vanilla" exclusively.

I've used M1 in my cars almost exclusively since the early '90s. I'm happy with it and see no reason to change, and especially no reason to seek out sales, rebates, and bargains as a determinant for my oil choice. The idea of using one brand for this OIC and another for the next, and so on, based on price doesn't sit well with me.

We were always taught from long ago there was a specific reason to try to stay with the same oil. The story was that mixing different brand oils would cause the mixing of the "add packs" in each brand of oil which were said to NOT be compatible.
Who knows if this is TRUE today or EVER was. Kind of like how they sell "engine flush" products. You will have some experts tell you to "USE IT" while at the same time others will tell "NO, NEVER, you will damage your engine plugging it up with deposits or even cause leaks."

I have used a whole bunch of different brands, but will usually use Pennzoil for the "daily drivers" and Redline for my "race cars". Not that Pennzoil would be bad in a track car, I've just had good luck with redline for that usage. Tend to only buy fluids from either of those two brands, thats including Rotella or any Sopus product.

I have run 30 different oils in my Nissan Altima VQ. .

Lots of variety.

Castrol gold and og Pennzoil Ultra had my hand for the first 3 years I had my car.

Though for the most part I have been running Cam2 for about the last 2 years.

With a few Quaker State HM runs too.

Considering how often manufacture / API / ACEA standards change you are never getting the same exact stuff in the bottle for that long. Look at M1 changing up AFEs base oil composition lately.

Back