Sticking valves, need quick fix. What to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a buddy who has a 91 Toyo 4runner w/166k on it. It has sticking valves and he's going to sell it in the near future and wants a quick fix. What has worked well for you in the past? Would tranny fluid be an option in the oil or is there something better. Don't have time for an Auto-RX treatmant. Thanks, Gary.

If you could get a bottle of neutra that might help,I would put a bottle in the gas and the oil, block the throttle and let it run for a couple of hours.I think Molecule had a procedure with neutra and lube control,dumping them directly on the valves which sounds like it would work really well.

Bigspoke...

May or may not be the lifters... I was at my mechanic last year and a fellow drove up in an early 90's 4-Runner with a V-6.... Cannot remember the exact discussion on mileage but believe it was in the 140,000 range and he commented that he thought it was the lifters... I was standing outside listening and the mechanic took one look listen after opening the hood and said..."I don't need to go any further " It's the camshaft, we see it all the time on these, people just think it is the lifters." Engine rebuild time $2000 - $3000 bill expensive on those buggers.... Let your friends conscious be his guide on selling it....

a half of quart of transmission fluid to 4-5 quarts of oil has worked for me several times. A mechanic I know has used about a half quart of tranny fluid in several Mercedes vehicles, drove them for 5-1000 miles then changed the oil. Worked well, quieter engines..

Put some Seafoam in there. That should help.

Gunk also makes a product that sells for about $1.50 that you put in your oil to help sticky valves and lifters (I forgot the exact name but it is in a yellow bottle). The product did seem a lot like seafoam.

I have nothing against the Schaeffers Product, but you can get Seafoam or the Gunk product at any autoparts store. I.e. a "quick fix"

My dad just used some in his 1990 Pathfinder with 130k miles and it cleared up his problem (sticky lifters). He has used AutoRX and that did not help his problem.

Hope that helps!

[ April 05, 2003, 03:14 AM: Message edited by: Intelman34 ]

Auto-Rx is not a "Quick Fix " to hide a problem
it is chemistry to alter the effects of a problem
in your engine.No chemistry repairs metal wear. Auto-Rx by "Slowly" Cleaning " every nook & cranny
in your engine, including the rotating parts lubricated by oil , the crud hidden in the oil galleys well you get the picture. This cleansing allows the oil of your choice to lubricate clean metal and what a difference this makes on the effects of metal wear.Dino-Synthetic can't clean through third party abrasives,dirt,contaminants, it just "skips" to next clean spot on oil lubricated part. Auto-Rx cleansing is not a quick fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back