STICKER SHOCK!

Seems like trucks are priced really high (1) as a profit center for Detroit and (2) for dealers to be able to offer huge discounts. Detroit is going to be in real trouble if trucks and SUVs ever go out of fashion.

If I were being cynical, I'd suggest that not many trucks will ever haul a load of anything and very few 4X4s will ever get off the pavement. But this being the week-end, I won't be cynical.
Actually, it may be that many of the F-150 live a life of being lightly loaded, but I suspect that the reason people ( usually businesses ) spend the extra for the higher load rated vehicles is because they have work for them to do on a regular basis.

----------------------------------------------------------------

With prices like that I can see insurance cost on all vehicles going up. If you hit something like that it is more expensive to get it repaired.

I happened to be walking through a Cadillac dealership lot a while back and perused the Escalade they had on their outside display. It was more than $100k....I kept walking back to the VW dealer. A coworker bought a factory customized diesel 3/4 ton diesel. RMP? He paid $85k. Doesn't fit into his garage and he had to get custom lowered hitch for his travel trailer.

In Canada the most you can write off for tax purposes for a non zero emission business use vehicle is $30,000 plus taxes. For a zero emission business use vehicle you can write off for tax purposes a vehicle priced at up to $55,000 plus taxes. If you pay more than those limits the rest is your personal expense.

There was a grandfather rule. I had a Volvo that I was using for business purposes that had cost well above the limit at that time, but because I bought it before the rule was introduced, I got to write it off for tax purposes.

I think the rule was designed to prevent people writing off their Mercedes S class, Lamborghini, Ferrari etc as a business expense. I guess that's fair. You could buy a vehicle that would meet your actual business needs for those prices. If you want more, it shouldn't be a business expense. The doctors' parking lot as one example had been a who's who of expensive vehicles prior to that rule, but not so much anymore.

More like “oh yeah”. No one knows the future, but please look into Tesla’s solar and battery pack businesses, alongside the ever growing share of the EVs. Here’s a story for ya.
In 2014 I worked with a guy who was an early Tesla employee. He’s decided to sell his granted stocks to lease a top Model S, smth like $5k down with $1k monthly for 36 months paid upfront. That’s $40k min (most prob 45k after tax and fees) which was 1000 shares @ $40 back then. Depending on the timing, you could get this 1000 stocks sold for $650-800k in 2020/21. I do understand this doesn’t guarantee that the company will keep growing at the same rate, but you should consider this when buying 80k vehicles

There's plenty of SD's down here that have never had a hitch put in their receiver or anything more than the kids bike thrown in the bed. And then people wonder why their $10,000 engine quits working well. They're built to WORK, not putt around doing daily driver stuff. But whatever, spend your money how you will, I'll stick with my 'little' Ranger...unless some long lost rich family member dies and leaves me many millions, in which case, its F450 and 5th wheel RV retirement time! :)

Can't fault the manufacturers for building things people want. It's a cash cow for them I'm sure.

Here is how people are “buying” $80,000 pickups. Low interest rates.

CBA00A8A-A56B-4E59-ACE9-A82363CD17CE.png

I could buy 4 nice used trucks for that.
Actually I bought a new 2019 RAM Classic extended cab for just over 1/4 that Fords price. YES I know its an apples to oranges comparison, so I get that.

My RAM has some upgrades, like Del Monico Red paint, alloy wheels, chrome trim, etc. Beautiful truck that rides like a dream, I drove it out for $25,000. Think about that. $25,000 drive out.

Any tank deals available at the moment? I’m really curious

fully-restored-1944-sdkfz-251-7d-half-track-military-for-sale-2018-03-25-1.jpg

beautiful-1959-saladin-mark-ii-heavy-armored-infantry-fighting-vehicle-military-for-sale-2020-11-22-1.jpg

Five star crash safety ratings. That’s because whatever you hit with these things at 70mph just disintegrates into small sub-atomic particles.

Back