STICKER SHOCK!

It all goes back to when was the last time you bought a new vehicle. My 2008 Burb was $45,000 which I thought was a lot but after 13 years a similar one (but not a 3/4 ton like mine) might be $75,000. Sounds like a lot. That's a price increase of 4% per year. Yeah, more than a savings account but that's a complication of the falling interest rates over the last 13 years.

In the winter time the Manatee stay/swim in the warm effluent water coming from the reactors at the Apollo Beach, FL. TECO (Tampa Electric Company) power plant. There is a pier there that you can feed them heads of lettuce. But, you CAN'T touch them! If you do the FDW will arrest you on the spot!
I consider the Manatee one of the most beautiful, awesome creatures.
Dunno why... Maybe I was a Manatee in a prior life?

Last edited:
My '94 Ford F150 short bed 300 inline w/ E0 4D trans. XL (bought new July 94 for ~ $13500) and 107,000 original miles looks better every day. Everything still works on it including a cold AC,( important in my area), at least to me.

It's the alternative if you don't want to spend big money on a luxury car. Has a lot of luxury car features. I remember after a baseball game, lots of the players leaving were just driving trucks so they look like everyman, but they're priced like luxury vehicles when you load them up with options.

well its a commercial truck maybe someone who needs an f250 with a 10k+ option diesel engine.

I'd have a hard time paying over 30k for something
Mine was a bottom feeder XL with the 4.2 V6, auto, a/c, and AM/FM/CD player. I had my Ford tech friend add cruise control for $50.
in 2004 got a ranger 4x4 super cab 5mt 4.0 XLT $15500.

There are a couple things here its a king ranch, 10k+ diesel option, f250, and these dont sell at msrp.

if you want f150 size, you can get a pretty nice ram around 30k. (43k sticker)
crewcab, 4x4 etc.

Seems like trucks are priced really high (1) as a profit center for Detroit and (2) for dealers to be able to offer huge discounts. Detroit is going to be in real trouble if trucks and SUVs ever go out of fashion.

That is already planned, 5-6 bucks a gallon will make then go out of fashion right quick. Then lets see what happens.

B55660D3-687C-400F-8130-A678CAD0059B.jpeg
E487A6B4-EE77-401E-9DD9-D4EBB7743AA3.jpeg

This is more my speed if I'm dropping coin on a new Super Duty.

A lot of things going on here, but if your point of comparison is a relatively stripped down basic truck you bought in 2007 of course you will be shocked. As a comparison point, the 2004 F150 I bought used in 2010 nearly cost as much as what you bought new in 2007 - but it was what was in demand - 4x4 supercrew with the 5.4 - not a stripped down base V6 truck.

3/4 ton trucks on up when loaded up with nice trim (like the King Ranch package) cost a lot. And part of how many of them are justified is as part of a business. My employer buys hundreds of 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks yearly, along with a lot of heavy duty trucks. Our 3/4 ton trucks under our bid package are typically coming in around the mid 30's these days - XL trim, supercabs, 2 wheel drive, etc...

Point e being you can focus on the luxury end and go oh my gosh they cost a lot, or you can look at the practical end and realize those are still available too...

My '17 RAM had an MSRP a bit more than the Monroney in the OP. Of course I didn't pay MSRP. The '21 I'm considering has an MSRP about 10k more than the shown MSRP.

By the time I sell the '17, and work a deal on a '21, the difference in cost is negligible.

Do I NEED to sell the '17 and get a '21? No, but I'm tempted.

Back