Stick with Toyota 0W-20 in my 1NZ-XFE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been reading through the VOA threads on 0W20 and need to ask you guys a question. I am hoping that you guys can help me with a decision I need to make soon.

I have a 2012 Prius C with the 1NZ-XFE engine. There are 1300 miles on the car now and Toyota specs the first OC at 10k miles and every 10k after that.

I want to change the oil at 5k the first time though. I am covered by a Toyota plan that will change my oil at 10k intervals up to 60k miles on the odometer. So the engine will see Toyota 0W20 oil for a long time.

For this first change though, should I only use the Toyota 0W20 for $7.99 qt from my dealer, or can I use Mobil 0W20 now on sale for $5.99 qt without worry of any issues?

I will use Toyota Denso oil filters, which are priced quite reasonably at $3.50 each on packs of three.

The engine holds only 4 quarts of oil, so the price difference in the oils will be $8. Not much, I know, but is spending the extra money necessary for this case?

Thanks.

After changing at 5k, how often are you going to change it afterwards? Are you going to change it again once it hits 10k or 15k on the odometer?

I am not convinced M1 AFE is a 10k oil. 5k -- yes, 10k -- I need more convincing.

After the change at 5k, it will be changed again at 10k and every 10k after that with Toyota 0w20.

Put an ounce of the two each in a shotglass and see if you can tell the difference between them?

FACT: 0W-20 is 0W-20 (is 0W-20, etc.) EXCEPT Royal Purple 0W-20 is PURPLE!If you wish to shorten the interval why not just change out the oil in-between the Dealership services? Think it will somehow hurt the car or void the warranty?

Cheers!

Go see your dealer's parts mgr and ask for a discount on a case of oil. Mine came down to $6.25--not the lowest price on the market but close enough. I spent $200 on oil, filters and plug gaskets and they discounted everything. The peace of mind of having inventory in the garage and ready to go plus not driving all over town to find the cheapest price is worth paying a little extra for an all OE package.

Last edited:
The ultra high VI Toyota 0W-20 was designed specifically for the Prius; M1 0W-20 was not. Your gas mileage with the M1 oil will not be as good and will largely negate the difference in the price of the oil so I don't see any advantage in buying the initially cheaper M1 0W-20.
Having said that, I'd also compare prices on the Toyota oil with some other Toyota/Lexus dealers in your area and try to negotiate a better deal. A better deal can almost certainly be had if you buy a 12 qt case.

I've always found it odd that the Cdn price ($5.75/L) on the Toyota 0W-20 was routinely so much cheaper considering we have to import it from the New Jersey Mobil plant where it's made.

Originally Posted By: Norm Olt
Put an ounce of the two each in a shotglass and see if you can tell the difference between them?

FACT: 0W-20 is 0W-20 (is 0W-20, etc.) ...
Cheers!
Got anymore of that stuff you're burnin?

Last edited:
My local dealer would not give me a discount on a case of oil. I will try a dealer near my office in Durham.

I am not sure I could use a case of the oil though since Toyota is going to cover my OC's for the next 2-3 years. Unless I change every other one at 5k, but I don't think that is necessary with this engine.

Now, if I could use 0W20 in my Gen2 I would for sure be able to use a case.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Denso builds a lot of filters in South East Asia, not Japan.

Yes, but these are supposed to be good filters. Correct?

The Thailand built YZZf2 has been a poor choice for a while. Dont know if the have improved. The Factory 90915-10003 foam media unit is the only filter my INZFE would run on. Have toyota gone to canister/cartridge on this motor of late?

Originally Posted By: Oldwolf
After the change at 5k, it will be changed again at 10k and every 10k after that with Toyota 0w20.

Then I would go with whatever oil you like. Mobil 1 AFE will easily handle a 5k OCI.

My local dealer would not give me a discount on a case of oil. I will try a dealer near my office in Durham.

I am not sure I could use a case of the oil though since Toyota is going to cover my OC's for the next 2-3 years. Unless I change every other one at 5k, but I don't think that is necessary with this engine.

Buy a case, and blend what is left over with a thicker oil to use in your Gen2 - a 50/50 blend of Toyo 0W-20 and M1 0W-40 will create a 0w-30.

Originally Posted By: addyguy

Buy a case, and blend what is left over with a thicker oil to use in your Gen2 - a 50/50 blend of Toyo 0W-20 and M1 0W-40 will create a 0w-30.

Yes that's a great blend but unnecessary.
The OP may be interested to know that in Canada, Toyota has back spec'd the Toyota 0W-20 for use in his 2005 Gen2 Prius.

Originally Posted By: addyguy

I do have 14 qts of M1 0W40 that I don't know what to do with now that I have these Toyota hybrids.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

Yes that's a great blend but unnecessary.
The OP may be interested to know that in Canada, Toyota has back spec'd the Toyota 0W-20 for use in his 2005 Gen2 Prius.

I asked my dealer just last week if 0W20 is okay for my Gen 2. I expected him to say no, and he did.

I do know that 0w20 is okay in Canada. It is the same engine down here as up there after all, so I have no clue why Toyota won't approve it for us here in the US. Have you read of any problems with the use of 0w20 in Gen 2's as of yet Caterham?

Last edited:
No I've heard no problem at all. In fact Toyota Canada is using their 0W-20 in practically everything now including back spec'ing.
One difference between Canada and the US is that our recommended OCI is still 5,000 miles.

The Toyota 0w20 is a unique oil. It really stands alone in terms of it's viscosity. Holds up well too. I'd like to see more UOA's of this oil in different engines. I plan on using it in the Mazda next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back