Stewart to face Grand Jury

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if some of this is to make the Ward family happy. I guess this is the real way to go forward. Personally I think it was a tragic accident, and all blame is with young Ward Jr.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Why a grand jury? Did he run over the guy on purpose?

That IS the question. Apparently the DA feels there is more to this than just an "accidental death."

It's difficult to think Tony would run down that kid on purpose. That's way beyond tough competition. I think the kid was just not ready for the increased intensity of competition with the front line drivers and lost his temper. Being angry never made for a faster driver.

Sounds more like the DA didn't have the stones to make the call on his own so he passed it off to the grand jury.

Originally Posted By: morepwr
Sounds more like the DA didn't have the stones to make the call on his own so he passed it off to the grand jury.

New York requires a grand jury for a felony indictment.
56.gif

Originally Posted By: PeteTheFarmer

56.gif

The article said the DA had the choice to end the case
confused.gif

Originally Posted By: PeteTheFarmer

56.gif

The article said the DA had the choice to end the case
confused.gif

If he didn't present it to the grand jury, the case would have ended, yes. But he can't indict Stewart without the grand jury. So his choice was really whether or not it was going to the next step, not whether or not Stewart get indicted.

Tony should rot in [censored]. He knew how his car would react when he's gunned it around the kid, he powered right into him. Mr Bigshot and his alligator tears.

There an awful lot of armchair quarterbacks in the general public that have voiced their uninformed opinion on this subject. I'd be willing to bet the vast majority have never even seen a real sprint car in person. Let alone have a clue as to how they work, or what they're like to drive.

I think more telling are the comments I've read from actual Sprint Car Drivers, that have said that while the situation is unfortunate, Tony Stewart did nothing wrong.

The Kid gets out of his car wearing an almost all-black suit, at night, while cars with no headlights are still circulating. Owing to the above stated conditions, and the fact you're looking through many tear-offs, which make visibility even worse, I'd say Tony Stewart didn't see him until the last second, if at all. IMO, the deceased made a poor choice, and it cost him his life.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
There an awful lot of armchair quarterbacks in the general public that have voiced their uninformed opinion on this subject. I'd be willing to bet the vast majority have never even seen a real sprint car in person. Let alone have a clue as to how they work, or what they're like to drive.

I think more telling are the comments I've read from actual Sprint Car Drivers, that have said that while the situation is unfortunate, Tony Stewart did nothing wrong.

The Kid gets out of his car wearing an almost all-black suit, at night, while cars with no headlights are still circulating. Owing to the above stated conditions, and the fact you're looking through many tear-offs, which make visibility even worse, I'd say Tony Stewart didn't see him until the last second, if at all. IMO, the deceased made a poor choice, and it cost him his life.

Well said

As Judge Solomon Wachtler of the NY Court of Appeals famously remarked, "a competent prosecutor can get a grand jury to indict a ham sandwich." IMHO, the DA in this case, Michael Tantillo, wouldn't be going forward if he didn't already know he can get an indictment.

So true, and as mentioned above, a DA with any guts could have thrown the whole case out.

I fear this is "pacification prosecution" just to feed the masses...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back