Steve McQueen And The "Bullitt" Chase Scene

I happened to catch this yesterday on Turner Classic Movies, (no commercials). The chase scene in that movie never gets old. McQueen and Bud Ekins paired up to do the actual driving in the Mustang. And Bill Hickman drove the Dodge Charger R/T.

Hickman was one of the best in the business of stunt driving. He also drove the Pontiac Grand Ville that Roy Scheider chased in, "The 7 Ups". He also drove the Pontiac LeMans in, "The French Connection". He was also a fairly accomplished actor as well, and had a part as a police detective in, "The French Connection" who's character didn't get along very well with Gene Hackman. He died in 1986 at 65.

https://www.google.com/search?gs_ss...12j0i512l2.5276j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I never get tired of watching the chase scene. Bullit was the first movie (vhs) I have rented back in the mid 80's.

Thanks for posting.

I read somewhere that Steve McQueen wanted to do all the driving, and specced out the mustang. Also that McQueen NS Hickman practiced driving at high speed within arms reach on a racetrack so they could perform the scenes on the streets.

One last thing, I also read that McQueen blew the corner ( in the shot you posted for the video) for real and that’s why he slams the mustang into reverse and spins the tire backing up. They left it in the final cut.
Bud Elkins was the motorcyclist that falls, McQueen stops the mustang, checks out Ekins, then the soundtrack has McQueen catching rubber as he shifts into second speeding away.

Best gearhead scene in any movie ever… IMHO…..

Read the links below.....good stories about the 2 different cars used in the making of the film.

You never know what you might find in a salvage yard.

Back