Steve Jobs has died

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Yeah I have to agree. It was guys that I and few others even remember their name like Henry Ford, Thomas Edison, the interventor of the steam engine and penicillin, Diesel, Bell, Eli Whitney etc that made the real contributions. I don't have anything against Job's and don't mean to put him down in this thread, but I even if considered computers and mobile communications significant, I don't know that he was the most important contributor.

Mechanicx. You would enjoy this book:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0...;condition=used

9780316277662.jpg

You can get it for under 5 bucks used.

Yeah that does sound like it'd be an interesting read. Thanks, Al.

Frankly, i am getting sick of the fanboys placing Jobs on a pedestal where one can do no wrong. It appears he was the embodiment of a deity who has saved mankind from eternal misery.
Sure, the fellow was extremely talented and skilled in what did, but at the end of day, he was business man.

He was at the helm of an entity whose sole objective is to make money, and it does. The fact that hundreds of thousands of people are employed, directly or indirectly, by Apple is merely a byproduct of its and its sub-contractors' self-interest and not a benenolent act, as some are nonsensically pushing it.

Apple's slick marketing machine has probably generated free advertsing worth hundreds of millions of dollars over the past few years, and Jobs' death is just going to help their cause.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
Originally Posted By: PandaBear
He helped to feed more people, kept the most people from being homeless, etc. than Mother Teresa probably ever dreamed of helping.

Right. I can swallow an LCD panel and it would sustain my calorie need for 5 months.

I don't think he is any worse than Larry Ellison, but he is no saint and the fact that he cancelled every single charity clause of Apple since he come back (and never restore them since the company turn around) is a prove that he is no saint.

Oh, and denying child support on his first daughter and claim to the court that he is infertile? Sounds like he got some great genes from his biological dad who abandoned his biological mom and sister later on.

It is an insult to Mother Teresa or even Ron Paul to be compared to Steve Jobs.

Obviously, another way to look at it is that he provided jobs for people to be able to provide food for their families.

“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime.”

I like mine better:

"Teach a man to fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man the Internet; and he'll leave you alone forever."

I agree with what you are saying sentra. I don't believe in putting any human being on a pedestal. I believe that when Steve Jobs returned to Apple he probably saved Apple. Apple surely would have went under without him. And he was a super salesman, great at MacWorld events, had a kind of genius for exterior design, and some people developed this weird cult like devotion to him.

But according to what I was able to find out, there was another side of the coin. I don't want to speak badly about a deceased person, so I will just leave that alone.

Bill Gates and his wife contributed huge sums of money to needy people throughout the world after Gates left Microsoft. But because some people have this incredible hatred for Microsoft, Windows, and Gates, Gates and his wife receive no recognition for what they have done. As far as I know Jobs made no such contributions.

The cult like devotion to Jobs (or anybody else) and the hatred of Microsoft, Windows, and Gates, are all illogical. It is illogical to hate a corporation. A corporation is made up of people and a corporation can change through time. Apple is not all good and Microsoft all bad, or the reverse.

Maybe people will come to their senses, given enough time, and realize the truth of this.

Originally Posted By: bigmike

Obviously, another way to look at it is that he provided jobs for people to be able to provide food for their families.

“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime.”

I like mine better:

"Teach a man to fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man the Internet; and he'll leave you alone forever."

I like the fruit farm's version the best:

"Hire the best fisherman to work for you, and you'll never have to teach anyone how to fish or feed him ever."

Originally Posted By: bigmike
Originally Posted By: PandaBear
He helped to feed more people, kept the most people from being homeless, etc. than Mother Teresa probably ever dreamed of helping.

Right. I can swallow an LCD panel and it would sustain my calorie need for 5 months.

I don't think he is any worse than Larry Ellison, but he is no saint and the fact that he cancelled every single charity clause of Apple since he come back (and never restore them since the company turn around) is a prove that he is no saint.

Oh, and denying child support on his first daughter and claim to the court that he is infertile? Sounds like he got some great genes from his biological dad who abandoned his biological mom and sister later on.

It is an insult to Mother Teresa or even Ron Paul to be compared to Steve Jobs.

I like mine better:

What if you don't like to eat fish?
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back