Stethoscope

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are these useful in figuring out noises in vehicles? I've got a sqweak in my front end and I'm not possitive if its my shock or not? This is in my tacoma.

Stethoscopes tend to work well for low-frequency noises and banging noises. For squeaks, not so much. If it's a good loud squeak you may be able to listen with your fingertips.

Originally Posted By: tig1
They are great for noise coming from alt, water pump, ps pump, etc.

+1 Also, a simple piece of tubing, held to the ear, makes a good "poor man's" stethoscope.

Great for wheel bearing noises with the vehicle on a hoist or drive wheels jacked up. If you're deaf like me you can use a large screwdriver against alternators or idler pulleys to feel the vibration from the bad bearing.

Originally Posted By: Rick in PA
Originally Posted By: tig1
They are great for noise coming from alt, water pump, ps pump, etc.

+1 Also, a simple piece of tubing, held to the ear, makes a good "poor man's" stethoscope.

Speaking of poor man. Go to HF and their's(mechanics stethoscope) is less than $5. I got mine there and it works fine.

Last edited:
I have used, for years, a very large (think two feet long) screwdriver. I put the end against what I want to listen to and put my ear against the handle. It works!

actually a piece of wood is really a good one, so a broom handle is nearly perfect. But I have used extensions from my socket set strung together in a pinch, so a lot of different stuff could work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back