Stepping down an SAE grade

How many current members successfully run their engines a grade or two below what is "recommended" in the owners manual with good/bad results? For example running 0w20 in an engine calling for 5w30, etc. Kind of similar to how this guy used Neo 0W5 in 1.9TDi for 25k miles, an engine that usually calls for 5w40 oils.

Uh, from a 5w-40 to a 0w-5 is "a grade or two"...?

Well, IMHO 5w-30 would be one that might work...? Or a 0w-40 might even be an upgrade. Or the 0w-30's are usually pretty good oils, highly rated..?

But what about a 5w-20...? What's that HEAVY 40 WEIGHT spec in there for, anyway?

Maybe a 10w-40 would be OK in Phoenix when ambient temps are 100° at night... Or that 0w-5 in Nome, but for winter driving only?

I'm so confused! Why?

So I am currently doing this. I notices that my Tiburon had started to burn an alarming amount of oil after burning virtually none for a good while, maybe 1/2 qt over 5k oci. After two quick 5w30 changes to help clean and both came out relatively dirty I had a spare jug of Rotella Gas Truck 0w20 laying around i got on clearance awhile ago. This tiburon takes a good minute to warm up when driving and I've notices that it starts and drives easier than it did last winder with the current cold snap we are experiencing in kansas. About all the driving i do at this point is a short trip to the gym, maybe 3 miles, and an 11 mile commute to work on the highway. I figure with most trips not even reaching full operating temperature or sitting on the highway for 15 minutes the thinner oil would be just fine. If I were to go on a trip I would opt to change it for the actually specced 5w30 or higher.

How many current members successfully run their engines a grade or two below what is "recommended" in the owners manual with good/bad results? For example running 0w20 in an engine calling for 5w30, etc. Kind of similar to how this guy used Neo 0W5 in 1.9TDi for 25k miles, an engine that usually calls for 5w40 oils.
103ppm of lead does not make for a good uoa. That's some serious bearing wear.

I would rather step up a grade (from the recommended viscosity) than down ... it would have less major side effects and limitations than moving down.

If you don't trust the owner's manual, move up. 🎯

Back