Steering wobbly in turns

Status
Not open for further replies.
1997 Toyota Avalon. 182K miles. I had the wheels rotated and balanced and notice that when I turn (either left or right) the steering wheel wobbles. Nothing happens when I am driving straight.

Thoughts??
21.gif

check the tire pressure, ive had that happen to my accord

It could be the place where u got your tires rotated/balanced put to low of tire pressure.

Try adding air until it does wobble no more, BUT do not go over the MAX PSi listed on the tire

I had a similar problem making a tight U turn. Bad tie rod in my case. Check tire pressure, and re-torque the wheels, then jack up the front end and check it. You can also have a friend turn the steering wheel from lock to lock, with the car on the ground. Look under the car and observe all the steering linkage. It is pretty easy to see a bad steering part that way. As the bad joint comes under load it will have abnormal movement to it. HTH

You can also rotate the tires front to rear and see if the wobble goes away, or changes any. In that case its a tire problem.

Last edited:
Could be a separated belt. You'd never notice it in the rear, but when the tire is moved to the front it will show up.

Well, the right front tire pressue was 27 psi. I inflated it to 38 to match the other 3 wheels and the wobble was nowhere to be found, although the steering is loose/sloppy. Also, the car wanders to the right if I take my hands off of the steering wheel.

I did notice when I was under the car that there are 2 corrugated boots on each end of what looks to be the steering linkage (against the firewall)--both have a tear completely around the linkage and the boots are separated at the tear. At 96K I had the front right rack and pinion replaced--perhaps it is time to do it again...
frown.gif

I will also check the lugs and the tire wear to see if I see anything else.

I wanted to look under the car while the wheels are being turned but there is not enough room. I'm afraid of putting it on jackstands and then starting the engine and turning the wheels.

Originally Posted By: bcossa2001

I wanted to look under the car while the wheels are being turned but there is not enough room. I'm afraid of putting it on jackstands and then starting the engine and turning the wheels.

Good decision. We don't need another Mark Fidrych incident.

Originally Posted By: bcossa2001
Well, the right front tire pressue was 27 psi. I inflated it to 38 to match the other 3 wheels and the wobble was nowhere to be found

thumbsup2.gif
48.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back