Steering wheel foam is loose.

On the steering wheel of my car about a 8in span of foam at the top of the wheel has come disconnected from the metal frame of the steering wheel. When I grab the top of the steering wheel I can twist the foam around the metal. The foam totally encases the metal frame of the wheel. I was thinking of getting a needle and injecting some type of glue or epoxy into the loose gap between the foam and metal to re secure it in place. My question is what type of glue or epoxy should I use?

Have you ever used any kind of treatment on the wheel? Armor all, or anything of that nature? If you have, give up now and just replace it. Glue isn't going to stick. If not, some form of rubberized foam safe glue. Perhaps even a contact cement of some kind, but its going to take a long time to cure and stick.

I did this on my Miata some years back... (Injected with 10 min epoxy.) The "foam" was actually twisting around the metal "rim" and I thought... What if I drilled a few holes to allow epoxy to enter and also "leave" once injected. Worked great! Just make sure you drill a large enough hole to allow the epoxy to go somewhere. (Exit hole(s) etc.)

I then wrapped the wheel with a "wheelskin" (Leather) it it was like I had a whole new steering wheel!

Actually - cutting the foam and then using epoxy (Get the kind that mixes by itself when you squeeze the plunger) works even better. The secret it to get enough in the "void" and then allow it to set. Wrapping the wheel with some tape and then a leather wheelskin was time-consuming... but, it paid off for me.

Attachments

• Miata_5692.jpg
    Miata_5692.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Have you ever used any kind of treatment on the wheel? Armor all, or anything of that nature? If you have, give up now and just replace it. Glue isn't going to stick. If not, some form of rubberized foam safe glue. Perhaps even a contact cement of some kind, but its going to take a long time to cure and stick.
Idk, I bought the car used but I have never personally used any product since I bought it in 2011

I did this on my Miata some years back... (Injected with 10 min epoxy.) The "foam" was actually twisting around the metal "rim" and I thought... What if I drilled a few holes to allow epoxy to enter and also "leave" once injected. Worked great! Just make sure you drill a large enough hole to allow the epoxy to go somewhere. (Exit hole(s) etc.)

I then wrapped the wheel with a "wheelskin" (Leather) it it was like I had a whole new steering wheel!

Actually - cutting the foam and then using epoxy (Get the kind that mixes by itself when you squeeze the plunger) works even better. The secret it to get enough in the "void" and then allow it to set. Wrapping the wheel with some tape and then a leather wheelskin was time-consuming... but, it paid off for me.
Yes I was reading about people using just general epoxy.

My Ram is like that on the top. I just ignore it because the wheel is in good shape otherwise.

Why not just buy a new new steering wheel for that Classic?
A new wheel is expensive. A used wheel isn't bad but there is nothing wrong with my wheel besides the loose foam. It's in fine shape otherwise. If I can fix it for $10 or $15 why not.

Back