Steering assist reduced. Need help on nieces car

2018 Malibu 1.5L 87k

My niece has recently started having an issue where her steering wheel jerks to the left at a complete stop and she gets a “steering assist reduced” message pop up on the dash. My code reader didn’t show anything so I took to the web to see what I could find. What I’m seeing is weak batteries being the diagnosis.

Can anyone confirm?

Edit: Vehicle was bought new in 2018, but not sure if still under warranty due to mileage/age.

a “steering assist reduced” message pop up on the dash. My code reader didn’t show anything
You have a code in the EPS module and assume you have a basic OBD2 reader. You need to scan with a more advanced tool to find the problem, anything else is just a guess. If the battery starts the car and there are no low voltage messages or codes, battery should still be fine.

How old is the battery? If original, it's due to be replaced anyway.
Don't chase a trouble or create more.
Battery is original. Her dad put a meter on it yesterday and it showed 12.4 not running and just under 14 while running.

You have a code in the EPS module and assume you have a basic OBD2 reader. You need to scan with a more advanced tool to find the problem, anything else is just a guess. If the battery starts the car and there are no low voltage messages or codes, battery should still be fine.
My reader was $300 five years ago so that’s possible lol

As I was typing this, she said the lights flicker in the dash and radio when this happens.

Update: She is going to the dealer tomorrow I believe she said. I told her to bring up that bulletin that was posted earlier. More to follow as it comes in.

Sounds to me like a ground issue. Could be any one of many ground straps under the dash, under the vehicle or in the engine compartment.
Could be. I like diagnoses like this simply because visually inspecting ground straps and/or adding a ground for giggles is virtually free.

Eric O had a vid on a Silverado? I think? where the RH ground strap had deteriorated due to NY winters and essentially the entire right framerail had lost ground. Even he seemed shocked and I found it fascinating. Power steering was directly affected:

Back