Steel Wool 0000 on Windshield

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone tried to use steel wool 0000 on a windshield? I bought my 09 camry used and the windshield is completely covered with fine spider scratches and it really bothers me when it rains. I was thinking about using steel wool 0000, any thoughts or recommendations?

You will here many people advise against using 0000 steel wool on glass but, I use it with some glass cleaner without issue about once a year. It Removes most if not all the contaminates and leave a nice surface to apply rain-x/sealent too.

It will not remove fine scratches though unless its cause by some dirt build it.

When you say it "Bothers me when it rains" are you talking about water not sheeting off?

Last edited:
Sorry I worded it wrong, what I meant to say is because of the scratches on the windshield the glare from oncoming headlights and rain is terrible.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by diyjake
I'll have to look into the glass polish, if anyone has any to recommend i'm all ears.

Look for cerium oxide powder online, the professional shops use it for polishing windscreens. You will need a rotary buffer, and the appropriate polishing pad as hand polishing will not work.

If you don't have the buffer, then consider the cost of having a windscreen shop do the polishing rather than invest $$ in the buffer and materials.

Originally Posted by diyjake
I'll have to look into the glass polish, if anyone has any to recommend i'm all ears.

Autogeek carries several brands.

https://autogeek.ecomm-search.com/search?catalog=autogeek&query=Glass+polish&submit=Go&.autodone=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.autogeek.net%2F

I've used steel wool and never noticed a difference. This weekend I'm going to be doing my headlights with a compound for the plastic windows for convertibles and will see how that does on the windshield using my buffer. I'll also try a paint polishing and a clear coat polishing compound.

I'd be concerned with the bits of the steel wool that typically fall off, falling somewhere and rusting, staining the paint or metal where it fell.

I've been using 0000 steel wool on my windshield for years. I'm really doubtful that it will do anything to remove the scratches in your windshield.

I use it to clean dirt and grime off the windshield. It works great for that. But my experience is that it does nothing to remove superficial scratches. But, hey, it's cheap enough. Try it if you would like. Contrary to what some may speculate, it will not harm your windshield in the least.

I've used 0000 steel wool to get paint overspray and auction vehicle lettering off windows with success. However I don't see how it would remove scratches??

Originally Posted by ET16
I've used fine steel wool on windshields before.

I have too, not to mention on home windows. Never had an issue. You have to keep the glass wet with the cleaning agent.

yeah for years its an old detailers trick.

use if after a road trip to get off the dried bugs that are really stubborn it doesnt remove scratches.

no issues at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back