Steel rim cost

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would you pay for a set?

I'm trying to find a set of OEM rims for my Tundra, and now I'm a bit peeved with myself for getting a vehicle with such fancy rims! Seems the best I can do is about $60/each.

I want to say I paid $100 for a set of slightly rusty steelies for my Jetta, but that was nearly 10 years ago, and I had to dispose of the old rubber too.

Geez, nothin' cheap these days...

Good luck! It's getting harder and harder to find steel wheels used. Used to be able to go to the junkyard and get a set of steel wheels for $100. Still can, but there just aren't any. Everything has to come with alloys today apparently.

I've spent a bit of time on Tundra boards, and you'd think we'd be knee-deep in takeoffs from all the people upgrading. Nope.

I don't mind fancy alloys but honestly I know they will get scratched up, and then I'll get sad. I was almost beside myself with a tire shop scratched my Jetta rims on the balancer (spun on the cone, so it nicked the area in the dead center, real small stuff--but stupid obvious to the OCD'ers). I'm also on a cheap-streak at the moment.

Does the base model come with steel wheels? I don't think I have ever seen a base model Tundra (or recent truck for that matter) on the road.

There are a lot of bro trucks rolling around. I can see why there should be a lot of new take offs.

What happens around here is the people just give, or sell ridiculously cheap, their original tires to the installing shop. They turn around and sell at like-new price again.

All I can offer is to "hunt-hunt-hunt". From my recent experience, your finding steelies for a 2010 for $60 each, while a bit of a gouge, might be the very best you can do.
Where did you find the $60 ones?
How 'bout that coast to coast site "USAparts.com", or whatever it is? They have everything. Kira

I think Tundra's get sold mostly with steelies. Well, just a guess on my part, I know they have rim upgrades, probably part of the various trim packages. But I've seen plenty with steel. The thing is, they are not black/ugly like regular steel rims. They are silver with a five spoke design. I'm sure many find it ugly, but the look is fine to me.

Originally Posted By: Kira
All I can offer is to "hunt-hunt-hunt". From my recent experience, your finding steelies for a 2010 for $60 each, while a bit of a gouge, might be the very best you can do.
Where did you find the $60 ones?
How 'bout that coast to coast site "USAparts.com", or whatever it is? They have everything. Kira

Not sure what one you are referencing... eBay had the $60 ones, actually it's pretty easy to spend more than that. I see a set "locally" for $350 that come with half-worn tires on CL; maybe I can CL the tires and get the cost to $250 for four rims. But I'll have driven about 200 miles round trip. Or I can find $50 rims that are like $50 to ship... or similar, where rim+ship goes past $60 or so.

Wish I had kept my eyes open earlier. I'm on a tire kick at the moment, and I'm remembering how lousy my truck was in snow last year.

Here, the closest junkyards are a ripoff. A couple of years back it cost more for a used 14" steelie for a saturn from one than a new one.

Check car-part.com if you haven't already. Not sure how much will show up but it's worth a shot. Sounds like there's a good chance you'll end up buying tires too, buying online someplace and getting the free mounting, possibly free shipping could end up being worth it plus less hassle.

Personally, I paid $325 shipped for factory take offs for a Chevy Cruze last November. That included wheels, lug nuts, wheels covers and TPMS.

A few months ago I drove 4 hours round trip and paid $100 for Cobalt (steel) wheels with Kelly snow tires (8/32nds) on them. In hindsight, not really sure it was worth it with the driving but it was a good excuse to go to a restaurant we used to frequent and had not in years.

Much different examples then your truck though I think.

Watch for alloy wheel close outs at the various tire and wheel places as well. I scored a nice set of alloys for the WRX for just barely above the cost of steel wheels. These were a variety that Tire Rack wasn't carrying anymore.

New wheels cost dough. $60 is not that crazy these days. Ugg.

Winter alloys:

winterWRX.JPG

That's helpful! I see a couple examples cheaper than $60. Will look there.

Fast look on Tirerack has rims for my truck (looking under their winter packages deals) at like $165. Starting at.

Keep in mind that the '10 Tundra won't take anything smaller than an 18" wheel. You may have been able to get the Jetta's wheels for a song (relatively speaking) but you're going to see a decent price jump between a 15" and 18" wheel.

Originally Posted By: supton
That's helpful! I see a couple examples cheaper than $60. Will look there.

Fast look on Tirerack has rims for my truck (looking under their winter packages deals) at like $165. Starting at.

Yeah unless they are close outs, don't bother with the 'rack. I think mine were $59 each.

FWIW, I have a second pair of steelies for my Cobalt that cost me $50 per corner brand new. So the $60 price you found doesn't sound so bad.

Originally Posted By: supton
What would you pay for a set?

I'm trying to find a set of OEM rims for my Tundra, and now I'm a bit peeved with myself for getting a vehicle with such fancy rims! Seems the best I can do is about $60/each.

I want to say I paid $100 for a set of slightly rusty steelies for my Jetta, but that was nearly 10 years ago, and I had to dispose of the old rubber too.

Geez, nothin' cheap these days...

I guess it's the size, I can find 14" steelies ALLDAY for around 20-30 bucks for a set around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back