Stealing Cable or Wireless Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know anybody who is doing this?

A relative of mine used to be hooked up to cable illegally years ago. It was funny watching them panic when a cable truck was in the neighborhood............. :no-no:

I will admit I have tapped into a few unsecured wireless networks in the neighborhood just to see if I could do it. But I have my own so I don't need to.

Last edited:
I had a friend that stole wireless from his neighbor for over a year (he is a real cheap guy). I moved in and paid for our own internet then secured our wireless network.
The same guy uses a FTA sat receiver to get dish network programming.

I thought satellite companies would know who is stealing programming, isn't there a way for them to fry the access card?

Unless you hook the receiver up a phone line they have no idea. I've known a few guys who did it.

I've stolen a lot of wireless, but I don't need to anymore so I don't.

Originally Posted By: mikered30
I thought satellite companies would know who is stealing programming, isn't there a way for them to fry the access card?

My neighbor is into cheating at everything. I don't know why. He was into pirating satellite for a while. Maybe still does. He said something about the broadcasters transmitting something to fry the cards. He'll spend a small fortune to save a smaller fortune. I'm glad not to be constantly scheming in that direction.

One of the Reading, Pa cable companies pulled a great sting. Their signal was scrambled and they knew enough people had boxes that were just "on". The broadcast a commercial ..a promotion actually, where they offered free t-shirts to the first 100 callers. The thing was, they had turned off all the authorized boxes for the promotion, so only illegal receivers could see it. Subscribe ..or see the judge.

Now I wouldn't mind tapping my own well for my non-potable water use to bypass the Water Authority meter for my water bill.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

One of the Reading, Pa cable companies pulled a great sting. Their signal was scrambled and they knew enough people had boxes that were just "on". The broadcast a commercial ..a promotion actually, where they offered free t-shirts to the first 100 callers. The thing was, they had turned off all the authorized boxes for the promotion, so only illegal receivers could see it. Subscribe ..or see the judge.

That's a good one.........kind of like those stings with people that are "wanted" winning a free contest Downtown. They walk into one room and are congratulated, then walk into the next room and get cuffed and put under arrest.
Like the Wide World of sports: The thrill of Victory and the Agony of defeat.......
thankyou2.gif
frown.gif

Since I do stuff on the internet, stealing wireless would be a bad idea...

Don't watch cable anyways....

You couldn't pay me to steal cable, but if I could buy an unlocked satellite receiver for a little cash I'd be all over it. I rarely watch TV but every once in awhile it's nice to check the news by something other than internet, newsprint, and radio. What I can't abide is paying for somebody to pipe advertisements into my home. No, thank you.

I know someone that "shares" satellite with the neighbor and steals electricity...yes, it's exactly the way you can think of to steal it!

Stealing internet from your neighbor is like stealing water because they don't lock up their faucets.

side note: The city of Santa Clara, Calif. provides municipal wireless throughout the city, no need to steal from neighbors.

At the old house, Cable would be a YES because the junction was on our front lawn and so a mysterious cable of the same colour with the same style connectors made its way in the box. Did great for 13 years!
grin2.gif

Then we got cable internet and for $20/mo on-top of it we got basic cable. So then we just started removing the filters that would block out all the channels above a certain frequency that we weren't paying for so we could get everything except Digital channels.

As for internet, our neighbour at the old house was close enough to us that we ran a Cat-5 cable in a small section of plastic conduit and fed him internet from our network. He paid us $20/mo towards our charge of $44/mo (at the time) and we were both happy because we both had high speed for half price. I setup the security so he couldn't get into our network.

Now at the new house in the country I share my Wireless internet with our 2 neighbours who pay $10/month each and still cuts my bill in half. I have them separated out from my network and monitor their bandwidth usage.

Works great in the country, there is no interference and the signal carries to them about 200ft away.

My dad has always had a couple FTA boxes and picks up various PPV movies etc via satellite.

whistle.gif

Last edited:
Now I wouldn't mind tapping my own well for my non-potable water use to bypass the Water Authority meter for my water bill.

Are you saying your own well has a water meter on it?

Had an argument with a workmate ages ago re this very same thing.

His argument was that they (the broadcasters) cast their pearls out there, throwing them at every person in a covered area.

He simply provided an improved collection apparatus.

I disagreed with him at the time.

But seeing how responsible these businesses are at maintaining a moral standard, I'm now agreeing with him.

But still not partaking.

No. I'm saying that I have municipal water that costs a small fortune. I'd love to use well water for all non-potable uses. I think a systern would need to be quite large to collect that much rain water.

Now some states here have water rights. You may own your property, but have no rights to the water below it.

The terms of service with my high speed internet say I have to lock down any wifi to keep from sharing it.

Oddly, it's the fact that people know my cable company email (and don't use Gmail etc) that keeps me loyal. I have lite service 768k down, 128k up, so if I "accidentally" got on a neighbor's wifi it would speed up.
wink.gif
(But I need to war-walk to do that.)

One could justify mooching wifi slightly on the road if they were using the same cable company, as their payments support that same infrastructure. Like my license plate fees keep Maine roads maintained-- I can travel outside and welcome outsiders through reciprocity.

Originally Posted By: mikered30

My neighbor is into cheating at everything. I don't know why. He was into pirating satellite for a while. Maybe still does. He said something about the broadcasters transmitting something to fry the cards. He'll spend a small fortune to save a smaller fortune. I'm glad not to be constantly scheming in that direction.

Was it Comcast?

in our area, one company offers bundled services; cable, phone and internet. well, the cable and internet comes in on the same cable. so, you can just order phone and internet, or phone and cable, and get the other one anyway. the installer guy told me there isn't anything in the box or back at the office that tells them any different.
is that stealing? I guess to some people it is. or some may feel they are already paying too high a price for the bundled services and this way they save $20-30/month. the company is still getting some of your money anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back