Stealing Cable or Wireless Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Comcast:

If you order internet only: a filter is placed on the line to block the TV channels. You need a provisioned eMTA to get phone sevice.

If you order phone only: the same filter is placed on the line to block the TV channels. You need a provisioned cable modem or eMTA to get internet service. The eMTA is not provisioned for internet service, only phone service.

If you order TV only: No filter is placed on the line but you still need a provisioned eMTA for phone service and/or a provisioned cable modem for internet service.

Provisioned means that the device has been configured in their system. You cannot just plug a cable modem in and get internet. All you'll be able to do is get to a webpage that lets you sign up for internet service.

Originally Posted By: mikered30
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

One of the Reading, Pa cable companies pulled a great sting. Their signal was scrambled and they knew enough people had boxes that were just "on". The broadcast a commercial ..a promotion actually, where they offered free t-shirts to the first 100 callers. The thing was, they had turned off all the authorized boxes for the promotion, so only illegal receivers could see it. Subscribe ..or see the judge.

Was it Comcast?

Comcast wasn't here yet. I think it was Service Electric. I think that they were both regular and broadcast cable. Comcast came in a while back and bought just about everyone out.

Funny what people consider to be stealing varies to fit what makes them feel most comfortable.

Main reason that I run (ran) Open Office was that I wouldn't run pirated MS Office...everyone who runs pirated Office points out that Bill Grates is rich enough as it is.

Now I just like Open Office.

If you walk down a dark street and see where you're going by your neighbor's living room light spilling through his window, are you stealing their electricity?
whistle.gif
After all, he could have drawn the drapes. Maybe he means to share.

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
LOL, that reminds me of that anti-piracy picture that says "YOU WOULDN'T DOWNLOAD A CAR"

I would if I could!
Me too, I have downloaded pretty much everything else I could!
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Thieves, no matter what they steal, are low lifes.

Would you steal a car if the owner left it unlocked?
Meh, think what you want, I laugh on my way to the bank. If they charged a fair price I would have no problem paying it.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
If you walk down a dark street and see where you're going by your neighbor's living room light spilling through his window, are you stealing their electricity?
whistle.gif
After all, he could have drawn the drapes. Maybe he means to share.
LOL.gif
You sound like a politician!
grin2.gif

You know, now that microsoft is finally charging a fair price for their OS I would consider buying it... Except that linux is mature enough now to meet my needs.

You know, now that microsoft is finally charging a fair price for their OS I would consider buying it... Except that linux is mature enough now to meet my needs.

I ordered Win 7 for our three primary computers when they had the pre-release sale. The reasonable price and built in XP mode in the $100 option sold me on getting that over the $50 version.

MS didn't fare as well on Orifice 2007 or 2010. Looks like you can get a 3 license Home/Student version for about $100. A terrific price, but I'm liking OpenOffice with it's $100 lower price.

I haven't pirated software for well over a decade.

When you're young you run all kinds of schemes. Many you can get away with. As you start seeing some of your hard earned money at risk, you should begin to see that ..now..you've got something to lose. You've also got an obligation to live the life you expect your kids to emulate. You don't need to bring them shame for something as stupid as cable piracy. I'd rather do without it. I don't need any Imperial entanglements.

LOL, that reminds me of that anti-piracy picture that says "YOU WOULDN'T DOWNLOAD A CAR"

That's hilarious! I'll have to look that one up.

I have a difficult time seeing the collecting of satellite signals for free as stealing. If they're going to just put those waves into the air, why can't you see what they are if you can? It just doesn't seem like property. To me, it's up to the satellite provider to make sure that their security is strong enough to discourage it, and that has improved. I've known people who "stole" satellite in the past, but it seems like such a hassle now, at least for a Canadian satellite, that it's no longer worth it for them.

I view stealing cable differently. If you modify their property in order to take it, that's vandalism. Sharing cable is a gray area.

I do consider intellectual property to be actual property and I prefer to pay for my music and videos, though sometimes the temptation is difficult to resist, especially when it's something that you wouldn't be willing to actually pay for.

All of those situations cannot be directly compared to theft where physical property is taken from someone else.

My opinion on computer software is that it is a device, and should be protected for the same duration as a patent. Writers deserve lifetime +50 protection since they're usually very poor and can use all the money they can get. Software engineers, on the other hand...

Originally Posted By: pickled
Open Office>>>GO SUN!!!!!
25.gif

Open Office>>>GO SUN>>>Go Oracle....?

Originally Posted By: StevieC

Meh, think what you want, I laugh on my way to the bank. If they charged a fair price I would have no problem paying it.

It's sad to see how some people can rationalize theft of someone else's property.

I think it's sadder that some people are so inconsiderate of the feelings of other people. But you think what you want.

I've used means to get discounted satellite, Microsoft Office, and music downloads. My money is still going to the provider, but not as much as if I did it the conventional way. It doesn't bother me. I don't know what that says about my personality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back