Steady diet on Formula Shell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: oilchangeguy
Anyone had their vehicle on a steady diet of Formala Shell for at least 150k? If so any problems or comments?

Thanks

According to Johnny, for the last couple of years, that is what just about all the Ford dealers use as their dealership bulk fill. There should be a few hundred thousand cars in North American that are running Shell.

I have not, but I have a good friend in Dallas that has put over 275K on his Ford F100 with the 300 6-cyl using nothing but Formula Shell. It is a good oil at a good price. I would not hesitate to use it.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
Anyone had their vehicle on a steady diet of Formala Shell for at least 150k? If so any problems or comments?

Thanks

According to Johnny, for the last couple of years, that is what just about all the Ford dealers use as their dealership bulk fill. There should be a few hundred thousand cars in North American that are running Shell.

Slight correction to that statement. I said the Ford dealer in my town used bulk Formula Shell and sold the Motorcraft product in quart and gallon bottles. I know many Ford dealers that use nothing but Motorcraft and many that use other brands in bulk. All of them sell packaged Motorcraft. I did say that about 3-years ago, Shell got the factory fill contract from Ford. As for as I know, Conoco has never had the factory fill contract at Ford. At one time it was Texaco, then Mobil, and now Shell. Conoco makes all of the packaged Motorcraft oil.

For the most part my Cousins 92 F150 and 94 Explorer have seen only Shell oils (maybe a couple of quick lube changes here and there) and they both have WELL over 150k. (I think the Explorer has over 200k)

Wish the body of the Explorer worked as well as the engine. I doubt it will pass safety inspection this year which will take it off the road.

Shell oil is excellent oil. I think all oils have gotten QUITE a BIT BETTER since API SL. And SM even better.

Thanks

While it has been far from steady, I have used a lot of Shell for the past couple of years. No oil consumption at all. I'm heading to a Menards store this afternoon where they have it on sale for $1.58/qt. Thanks to the "limit one case per customer", I guess I will be a customer, my wife will be a customer and each of my three kids will be a customer.
It will be interesting to see the look on the cashiers face when she sells a case of oil to a 10 year old....

FS is great oil!
wink.gif

I used it a formulation or so ago. It was the black bottle then. Great stuff at the lowest price pre-MC at Wally's. Reduced fogging in my 92 shot valve seal 3.0 ..that YB would appear to enhance. If I could find it for an adjusted comparable price (only $0.85 when I bought a few cases), I'd have it now for the casual use extended fleet.

I'd have no issue using it, but generally speaking, I can find equally good (QS) or higher line oils (IMO) for less money. 5w20 FS is difficult(relative) to find, and all weights seem difficult to find for a price I'd be willing to pay. Of, course I'm a Wally World oil shopper and they don't carry it. And, I'm a low price name brand oil buyer, with no problem switching brands. I used FS bought at Target a while back.

Just rambling here, but FS good oil, I just need to find it for lower everyday price.

Don't buy based on brand, buy based on ratings like SM/GF-4 and price, and if the oil meets your needs.

Brands don't really matter these days like they used to back in the day because oil today is extremely good quality.
thumbsup2.gif

When I said name brand, I meant in relation to say an ST or AAP, AZ house brand. I look to purchase name brand first, goes without saying those name brands meet the specs of my vehicles, but thanks for the tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back