Stay Away From truck "Leveling Kits"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Well, it's better to state your opinion then it is to come in when someone complains "my leveling kit cost me $$$" and tell them "oh, yeah, didn't you know that?".

I'm so glad I didn't go into a 4" lift on my wife's jeep. We may get offroad once a year ..and we might have a blizzard. We're never going to do anything hard core.

The Fast & Furious wannabe's are usually trashing the ride fast enough as it is. They're probably on the same learning curve on their turbo upgrade and will be scrapping the thing into a fond memory when they had the money to afford the upgrade, but never made enough money to afford maintaining the car at their fatigue rate.

I think a legit lift on an IFS about 2001 was about $1000/inch. I imagine it's more now. Solid axles you can get more inches for the buck, but the ante is still high.

$1000/inch? The best quality 6.5 inch lift you can buy for an IFS 99-06 Chevy/GMC retails for $1800.

Last edited:
The knowledge was dated. Most times I get sticker shock. Real value tends to stay at the same level.

Just a simple budget boost (1.75") on a TJ will run you about $500 by the time you're done.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
The knowledge was dated. Most times I get sticker shock. Real value tends to stay at the same level.

Just a simple budget boost (1.75") on a TJ will run you about $500 by the time you're done.

Zone off road has a 2" kit for a TJ that runs $229.75 and comes with shocks, with free shipping. Did you mean $500 installed, or with new tires maybe?

I have a 94 ford ranger XLT 3.0 4x4 (reg cab/ long bed) MD05 trans
I replaced the stock front end with MOOG aftermarket ball joints and inner/outer tie rods, new wheel bearings, etc
it has 97k on it and it needs new shocks and tires (trying to bring her back to life)
if i replace the stock springs up front with leveling springs and buy appropriately lengthened springs, will this cause any problems?
I'd love to eliminate my body rake without killing the parts i've already replaced and i dont mind paying a bit more for the shocks to allow larger tires.

any input helps!

Originally Posted By: Duker
I have a 94 ford ranger XLT 3.0 4x4 (reg cab/ long bed) MD05 trans
I replaced the stock front end with MOOG aftermarket ball joints and inner/outer tie rods, new wheel bearings, etc
it has 97k on it and it needs new shocks and tires (trying to bring her back to life)
if i replace the stock springs up front with leveling springs and buy appropriately lengthened springs, will this cause any problems?
I'd love to eliminate my body rake without killing the parts i've already replaced and i dont mind paying a bit more for the shocks to allow larger tires.

any input helps!

No problems, lift springs are fine to use, like the basic Skyjacker 2" kit for your truck. Just get it aligned afterwards. Leveling kits are what you want to avoid as they are just a spacer. There are spacers available for your truck (Pro Comp comes to mind)...stick to full replacement springs.

If you are going to do the springs, I'd go ahead and get the radius arm bushings replaced while your at it. A full radius arm bushing kit for your truck is about $30-$40.

The good thing about a Twin Traction Beam suspension like the one in your truck is that lifting it is about the same as lifting a solid axle truck. Even though it is technically an independent suspension, it isn't anything like the IFS found in 1998+ Rangers, 1997+ F-150s, and most non-Ford trucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back