Stationed in Italy and Just Wondering......

Status
Not open for further replies.
First let me say hello,
Great board, lots of information. I didn't do too much of a search, so I apologize in advance if I make someone angry. It always seems your first post on a board always get's the obligatory, "did you do a search?".
Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of the oils they sell over here in Europe/Sicily. Unlike back in the states the oil over here is very, very expensive. I'm talking 9-12 Euro or about $15 dollars a quart. So needless to say I've been getting the 5-quart jug filled from the 50 gallon barrel at the autoport here on base for the last couple of years. I just recently had allot of work done on my car a 99 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder (Paint, Rims, Engine, Projector headlights etc..) and thought that since we were going to be heading back to the states soon I'd give one of these oils a try.
To be honest I never go look at them so the names I can't provide
dunno.gif
, but it seems there are some very knowledgeable people here in this forum that might be able to point me in the right direction. Once again thanks for the informative board and I'll be looking forward to any help and-or advice.
Steve
patriot.gif
cheers.gif

Welcome

Not sure about the Euro oils, but be sure to bring back some green olive oil. I believe it's the right time of year to get some "First Press". There's nothing like it back here in the states.

Yeah, the Olive Oil is to die for over here, It's funny you mention it. You can pick up 2 liter bottles of freshly pressed Olive Oil (In homemade containers/water bottles)when you stop to get gas. That's one thing I'll miss about being stationed here, the food is second to none. Everything has to be fresh !!!!If it's not fresh, it isn't Italian !!!
You can always count on fresh veggies, nuts and fruits on just about every corner.....

Since you're in Italy, I'd try Shell Helix Ultra. That's the factory fill in Ferraris. The 5w30 grade should be right for your car.

So you saw a fire-spitting, six-legged dog, eh Mori? Be a good lad and just put the Agip in your engine and quit drinking it...yup.

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:
Since you're in Italy, I'd try Shell Helix Ultra. That's the factory fill in Ferraris. The 5w30 grade should be right for your car.

Yes well the engines come out with Shell Helix Ultra,
The gearboxes come out with Royal Purple
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
You gotta go with AGIP when in Italy! Look for the fire-spitting, six-legged dog!
tongue.gif

============
We have one that looks like that living near our toxic waste dump.

quote:

So you saw a fire-spitting, six-legged dog, eh Mori? Be a good lad and just put the Agip in your engine and quit drinking it...yup.

Or else you'll sic some Elves on me?
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Achilles:

quote:

grin.gif

You can't be serious. Ferrari factory fills their gear boxes with Royal Purple?

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:

quote:

Or else you'll sic some Elves on me?
wink.gif

Now, was that nice?
grin.gif

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Achilles:

quote:

grin.gif

You can't be serious. Ferrari factory fills their gear boxes with Royal Purple?

yip
wink.gif

So RP does have many OEM's that many ppl don't even know about!

offtopic.gif
I was deployed to Italy (San Vito) down toward the heel of the boot and I'm hooked. Used to take my team out and about almost every Saturday night. We used to love to go to Caravigno for German and Italian food (same restaurant served both) and then to the old Medieval city of Ostuni to explore...stumbled across a Fascist rally...one of my guys called out to me by my rank as we were exiting the scene...whoaa...oh well, also drove an Alfa sedan the from Naples to San Vito cruising about 125 for much of the trip...you know, I think I'm going to cry...make that Penso che vado piangere...
frown.gif

Actually to reply to a few posts:
1. Yes !!!! There are some of the most beautiful women I have ever seen over here. Unlike the states, everyone is what we like to call "Dressed-Up" even when they just go down to get they're fruits and veggies the women look like their going to a fashion show. And the beaches during the summer oooohhhhh, it's a good thing (Or bad depending how you look at it) I'm married because it's such a sight to behold, *** blessed women indeed, and the proof is over here in Italy. Not to bang on American women, but the ratio of beautiful fit women to Average overweight women has got to be around 50:1

2. Agip and Esso stations are the only places that accept our gas coupons over here so I visit AGIP frequently. A couple of friends I've made work there and it's become a frequent stop on my way home for a cup of homemade vino. Unlike in America these guys can work and drink !!!! It's amazing...... They've offered to "Light up" but being a military man you know the rest of that story....

3. No Mobile 1 on base, they only sell a couple of Dino oils and they still run 6-8 dollars a quart... Or I usually just have them fill a container of Penzoil or the "Oil of the Month" whatever it may be from the 50 gal barrel that runs around $12. So if I want the good stuff I have to drop Euro out in town...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back