Static Oil change reminders

Status
Not open for further replies.
I change oil for a few friends and I use the static oil change reminder that goes on the windshield. The problem I'm having is I can't find a pen or marker that doesn't fade from the sun. Anyone know of a good marker or pen that will not fade? I've tried various pens and permanent markers and they fade over time. A lot of the vehicles I change don't come in but twice a year.

I have gotten to the point that I fill out the sticker, clean the inside of the drivers door really good with Windex and put it there. Problem is, it isn't in their easy view.

Originally Posted By: firemachine69
Does no one else just use "trip meter B"?

Yep. I used to use those free AAP stickers but they always peeled off and fell.

Stadetler Lumocolor permanent markers. I buy them at Michaels in a set usually. Also work better than a Sharpie on CD-Rs as well

Too easy to accidentally reset trip b.

I also just use a piece of paper as a general log and keep it in the glove.
Just make columns of the services, and record the date and mileage.

Similar in concept to the manufacturer's service book, but just way more compact and easy to do then flipping the pages.

I use the notepad in my iphone, I log all the details in there so I always have it, mileage, what oil I used, filter etc. It comes in really handy.

Originally Posted By: firemachine69
Does no one else just use "trip meter B"?

I do, but I also have a sticker on the windshield (I use the Blackstone labs stickers that come with the test kits) then write on it with any old ink pen. Then there is always the MM keeping tabs on the oil in the background.

I just use my Brother labelmaker and affix to the static sticker (or just affix to the windshield.) Works great.

I pretty much go by the OLM, checking the % every month or so and I use the back few blank pages of my owners manual for all service/repairs. Potential buyers are impressed with my 'service records' when I get ready to sell my vehicles.

Originally Posted By: opus1
The ink on regular Sharpie markers lasts maybe a month for me, but they have an Industrial Strength marker that works much better. Sharpie Industrial Marker

I live in Florida so my car is in the sun more often than I want it to be, yet the ink has yet to fade. I only use regular ink pens, maybe it has more to do with what material your writing it on.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
The ink on regular Sharpie markers lasts maybe a month for me, but they have an Industrial Strength marker that works much better. Sharpie Industrial Marker

I live in Florida so my car is in the sun more often than I want it to be, yet the ink has yet to fade. I only use regular ink pens, maybe it has more to do with what material your writing it on.

It does it on the Blackstone static reminders as well as the AMSOIL ones I have. Maybe they are made of the same material. I'll try the industrial Sharpie

I was thinking of recommending that marker but you beat me to it.

I seem to remember reading that the ink in that marker contains an ink with pigment particles instead of dyes, which makes it more stable. Dye based inks are less stable in UV applications and tend to fade.

Interestingly, Sharpie has a fade-resistant line of markers: Sharpie Extreme marker. I wasn't aware of these, they seem to be targeted for the consumer market.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back