State Farm and Ting

Al

I have State Farm. They are offering an electronic gizmo you plug in. It has WiFi that is part of your network. It is coupled to your phone with an app. It constantly reads your circuits from the pole transformer. It alerts you if there is even a small malfunction in any circuit. Very impressive

I accepted and got a package with the Ting, and have been meaning to ask...is this thing safe, meaning no spy capabilities or downside? Nothing like installing a hidden cam and mic in one's house

On the serious side, people routinely do a DNA search and then are caught for a crime they did 40 years ago, or they insert devices into their OBDII port and are awarded Mario Andretti achievement awards by insurance, all willingly hurt themselves...
:ROFLMAO:

Doing some quick reading, seems to be a pretty solid privacy statement. (good post BTW)
Scroll down to "Privacy"

and then that of the Ting company =
https://www.whiskerlabs.com/privacy/

I think it seems as legit as most other apps and more. If you don know me, Im a bit of a privacy freak and this seems pretty solid.

I did notice State Farm is not committing to it being "Free" past 3 years time but will update you in advance of any changes.
If it was offered to me I would try it out. But I will never have State Farm but I might pay for it directly if it was reasonable.

I found the site if you want to pay for it without State Farm it is one time $99 charge for the equipment and 1st year monitoring fee and after the first year $49 a year (current price)

From the above site =
"If you purchased directly from Whisker Labs online and did not acquire or receive Ting through a partner program as defined above, at the end of your service term, we will invoice or bill you for an annual retail renewal fee of $49 per sensor (that comes to a cost of approximately $4.08 per month) to the billing information on file. If during your current term, we’ve established alternative service plans that could apply to you and your home, we will provide you with those options at the time of renewal."

I had one other question and found the answer -
Do I need more than one Ting sensor to monitor my whole house?
For the majority of homes, one Ting is sufficient. However, for homes that have more than one main electric breaker panel (i.e., has its own separate feed from the electric meter or utility) one Ting is required for each main electric breaker panel. If homes have sub-panels that are located within a single physical structure and connected to a single main electric breaker panel, one Ting is enough. If a sub-panel is installed in a detached or remote building a separate Ting will be required for that building (i.e. barn, shed, detached garage). Please click here to confirm how many Tings are needed for your home.

Last edited:
So this device is for your home and can detect potential electrical hazards?

I agree with the mindset..."If it's free...you're not the customer...you are the product". In some form or fashion, I think this is accurate.

To me...this is yet another of the endless list of apps, devices, that is silently gathering information about me. It's hard enough to maintain your privacy today.

Pass.

Ed

Back