Stash to Cash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, my stash of oil and filters got out of hand after Katrina hit. The stores took back the three cases of oil that I bought less than 60 days ago, a coworker was happy to take another case off my hands, and a dozen oil filters left via eBay. I didn't make money, but I didn't lose any either. I'm down to about a 12 month supply and I feel better about it.

Guys and gals, it's not that hard to do.

Esp if you got your stash real cheap like my Motorcrafts..credit back to Wally's for a profit. Have more oils from the 236qts that could go thru the same route as well.

I still have 11 Pep Boys M1 BOGO coupons..I think Ebay would be the way to go.
smile.gif

I'm surprised someone in particular didn't go preachy about returning oil to wally's for a profit. I know I don't mind, I've done it myself to liquify my stock. I went down from 158 quarts to 90 in over 4-5 months this method. I sleep well at night too. It's better than changing it every 3k and waste good oil.
wink.gif

Esp if you got your stash real cheap like my Motorcrafts..credit back to Wally's for a profit.

Well, this refund was really an afterthought/no plans to "profit" from it. I got the Motorcraft 15w40s on a Wally's firesale clearance early this year before they discontinued initially this oil line.

Then later on it just so happens they carry it again...thus the return. Besides I have too much of a stash with the 2 cases of Delo 15w40 I have(preferred). If Wally's permanently discontinued MC, then I have no reason for said return and just keep 'em..they were after all only $0.50/qt.
dunno.gif

quote:

I'm surprised someone in particular didn't go preachy about returning oil to wally's for a profit.

In this case, nothing is misrepresented. Legitimate product is returned to WalMart without a receipt. Their policy is to issue a store credit for the current value of the merchandise, which is the price the store will re-sell it for. That being said, I don't think it would be right to buy things on sale with the intent of returning them at a profit. WalMart often rolls back prices, and I imagine there are also people getting less money back than they paid.

This weekend I get to reduce my stash by another 4 1/4 quarts and one filter. Woo hoo!

quote:

Guys and gals, it's not that hard to do.

Why bother??? I'm very happy to have a bunch of good oil (GC, of course), most of it obtained on sale, filling a void of space in my garage that would otherwise be occupied only by air. And on top of that, I won't have to spend another red cent on oil until more than halfway through the next president's term. You went to some effort to assemble the stash in the first place, why duplicate the effort to undo it?
dunno.gif

Besides I have too much of a stash with the 2 cases of Delo 15w40 I have(preferred). ..

Oh and I forgot to mention, on top of Delo I have 52qts of the even thicker M1 EP 15w50, so gotta make room for the desirables..
smile.gif

If I have less stuff, I can continue to live in a smaller house, have less to maintain, clean around, and heat, save money, and retire earlier. . . .all because I have less oil in my basement. Cool, eh?

Now see, I'm just the opposite. When I get in the oil that I'm going to use for a change, I can't WAIT to get the oil changed and get my fresh (usually different botique oil too) oil into my crankcase and put my engine through the standard paces.

Besides the fact I have NO place to put THAT many cases of oil anyway...

Jeez, I can't believe the size of the oil stashes that some of you guys have. I've never experienced a time when you couldn't get the oil you want, so what's the problem? I just buy what I need for the next oil change a few months before I'm going to do the change. I figure the oil must age SOMEWHAT in the unopened container, and if I have a 3,4,5, or whatever, year stash they might be making better oil 3,4,5, or whatever, years down the line and I'm stuck with the inferior oil. And why needlessly take up valuable storage space in my garage, where space is at a premium?

What I stash away is unlined leather work gloves, which I go through a lot of. Can't buy them cheap where I live in Helena, Mont., but you can at the Menards I go to everytime I'm visiting my Ma and brother in a Mineapolis suburb. So I stock up on them to stash away every time I'm back there.

My cellar has emergency supplies: 29 gallons bottled water (but mostly as we drink it on vacations rather than drink from the motorhome water system), about 16 cans of beans, and 190 quarts of oil.
freak2.gif

I sold off 19 quarts to a friend last month and then bought some diffent oil on sale. The best reason to sell off stash is so you can buy some more.

Another stash advantage is I will have a huge supply of SL oil when only the "inferior"
wink.gif
SM is available in the stores.

Posted by TallPaul:
quote:

My cellar has emergency supplies: 29 gallons bottled water (but mostly as we drink it on vacations rather than drink from the motorhome water system), about 16 cans of beans, and 190 quarts of oil.

What??? No beer?!? What's the matter with you man???
shocked.gif

===================================

Posted by jmacmaster:
quote:

Jeez, I can't believe the size of the oil stashes that some of you guys have. I've never experienced a time when you couldn't get the oil you want, so what's the problem?

I prefer and want to use green GC (judgment reserved on the gold stuff). Just go try to find yourself some green nowadays. Good luck. . .
wink.gif
tongue.gif
cheers.gif

Hmm..so in case of an emergency(knock on wood)..you can boil 16 cans of beans in 29 gallons of H2O using 190qts of fuel(oil) then.
wink.gif

16 cans only for 29 gals! I think you need to work on your beans stash this time...
grin.gif

quote:

I prefer and want to use green GC (judgment reserved on the gold stuff). Just go try to find yourself some green nowadays. Good luck. . .

I did try to go out and find some green GC, but all I could find was 10 quarts here in Mobile. Someone in the area had already cleared the shelves for the most part. Hmmm, I wonder if ekpolk has been raiding the AZ's here in Mobile?
wink.gif

jmac:
As far as inferior oil, I don't get it. If your oil is good now, it will be good in the future. Just because something "better" comes along, it doesn't make the older stuff "inferior".
As for stocking up, I've probably got eight cases of Havoline. Six cases were bought on sale for 89 cents per quart (cash, no rebates). The other two were just bought on sale for $1.29 per quart (currently saleing for $1.72 per quart at Wal-Mart).
I figure I've got enough to get me by until price goes back down or I catch another sale.

Last night I got 4 1/2 quarts and one filter closer to a clean closet.

Something else to be thankful for this week. Life is truly good!

I jumped on the band wagon of "big" stashes when we thought having a case or two extra was huge. Currently I have a handfull of odd qrts sitting on the shelf and only one filter left. Unless I can find the stuff on sale for ridiculously low prices, its just not worth having the extra clutter around.

However I can see the GC crowd hording oil, because it can be difficult finding it at times.

Posted by Gilitar:
quote:

I did try to go out and find some green GC, but all I could find was 10 quarts here in Mobile. Someone in the area had already cleared the shelves for the most part. Hmmm, I wonder if ekpolk has been raiding the AZ's here in Mobile?

Apologies, I missed this post earlier. Just FYI, I've only made a couple exploratory raids into the Mobile area (passing through on my trips between work (NOLA) and home in P-Cola). I considered a more extensive "sweep" of Mobile stores, but I'd pretty much already glutted myself by that time. . . What you can find there is all yours!
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back