startup wear index?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pursuing the issue of cold start wear and gather that moly, boron, zinc, magnesium, and phosphorus are the additives that prevent that. I looked at the VOA's of 9 oils on the site, and if you add the numbers for those elements you get a total PPM they represent in each oil.

6 of the oils have numbers between 2000 and 3000, the outliers being Castrol GTX 5W30 at 1550, Redline 5-40 at 3700, and Havoline Synthetic 5W40 at 4850 (!).

Does this number have any validity as a reflection of how much cold start wear the oil will prevent?

Thanks for all your excellent responses!

I just read elsewhere on this site that magnesium is a detergent, not an anti-wear additive. So the Havoline Synthetic 5W50 number is actually 3700, as it has 1143 of magnesium. (!)

quote:

Originally posted by Pantdino:

6 of the oils have numbers between 2000 and 3000, the outliers being Castrol GTX 5W30 at 1550, Redline 5-40 at 3700, and Havoline Synthetic 5W40 at 4850 (!).

Does this number have any validity as a reflection of how much cold start wear the oil will prevent?

Nope it does not affect start up protection in any huge way . Pumpability and additives that adhere to the internal parts while shut down and not picked up through spectro analysis does though .

quote:

Originally posted by Chris:
You want Esters then.

Maybe. My older truck (not oil filter related) has no startup noise even with a lighter weight syn. It's quieter than with a heavier weight dino. This is especially true if it sets for several days.

I have thought that Esters may explain it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back