startup wear index?

I'm pursuing the issue of cold start wear and gather that moly, boron, zinc, magnesium, and phosphorus are the additives that prevent that. I looked at the VOA's of 9 oils on the site, and if you add the numbers for those elements you get a total PPM they represent in each oil. 6 of the oils have numbers between 2000 and 3000, the outliers being Castrol GTX 5W30 at 1550, Redline 5-40 at 3700, and Havoline Synthetic 5W40 at 4850 (!). Does this number have any validity as a reflection of how much cold start wear the oil will prevent? Thanks for all your excellent responses!

Pantdino

I just read elsewhere on this site that magnesium is a detergent, not an anti-wear additive. So the Havoline Synthetic 5W50 number is actually 3700, as it has 1143 of magnesium. (!)

quote:
Originally posted by Pantdino: 6 of the oils have numbers between 2000 and 3000, the outliers being Castrol GTX 5W30 at 1550, Redline 5-40 at 3700, and Havoline Synthetic 5W40 at 4850 (!). Does this number have any validity as a reflection of how much cold start wear the oil will prevent?
Nope it does not affect start up protection in any huge way . Pumpability and additives that adhere to the internal parts while shut down and not picked up through spectro analysis does though .

quote:
Originally posted by Chris: You want Esters then.
Maybe. My older truck (not oil filter related) has no startup noise even with a lighter weight syn. It's quieter than with a heavier weight dino. This is especially true if it sets for several days. I have thought that Esters may explain it.