startup experience last night at 7 degrees

Status
Not open for further replies.
Running straight water in an engine would crack a block around here this time of year. You might be able to get away with it in Florida?

It's winter! Things are going to be a little rougher no matter what fluid you run. Be glad it started at all
smile.gif

First the battery looses volts at the temps drop, then about the syn oil maybe maybe not. 5W-30 dino does pretty good in the cold

Cold starts (well below freezing) are always slower and noisier than above freezing, therefore they feel like the engine is being damaged.

If someone tells me that their car starts the same in 0F and in 50F without a block heater or being garaged, well... maybe in their own little world, but I don't believe it for one second.

I noticed that until around -10C (14F) mark, there is indeed little difference in the cranking speed, noise and general feel of the car when cold, but once you start getting below that mark, things get progressively slower, louder and stiffer.

Synthetics are always better when cold out and is one of the reasons I switched ~25 years ago. Synthetics everywhere in anything that has a lube.

0w for northern climates is a smart choice.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Cold starts (well below freezing) are always slower and noisier than above freezing, therefore they feel like the engine is being damaged.

If someone tells me that their car starts the same in 0F and in 50F without a block heater or being garaged, well... maybe in their own little world, but I don't believe it for one second.

I noticed that until around -10C (14F) mark, there is indeed little difference in the cranking speed, noise and general feel of the car when cold, but once you start getting below that mark, things get progressively slower, louder and stiffer.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ

Maybe with the oil you use and the engine it's in.

I live in indiana, coldest december here i can remember, drove car (mazda 6 08 2.3L) friday to work/back, didnt drive until this morning tuesday, and yes it cranked slower, brand new battery in sept, m1 0w20 (500 miles)

We had very similar temps this morning. My car started alot slower than yesterday morning. I didn't notice a difference with syn or reg 5w30 or 10w30 in the same situation in the past. It's cold outside, not a big deal.

Why not run synthetic - it's 7 degrees outside! Syns are designed for better performance, especially in extreame conditions. PYB will only get you so far. IMHO, If you have the money, why not invest in a good synthetic product this winter?

The Tacoma really does not like to crank in anything below +10F. But as soon as it lights up, it sounds like it 50F outdoors. BTW it must be Toyota using smaller hamsters running inside of the starter, to increase profits and recalls
grin2.gif

Last edited:
I fired off one of my old farm trucks with 5W40HDEO in the sump this morning(+10F)and it sounded ugly for about 5seconds before it quieted down to normal. So much for the tree-huggers global warming foolishness...

It was -20F here this morning when I fired my truck up and it was a bit of a slow go being a diesel and all but it fired up within about 5 seconds of cranking. Its got 0W40 Synthetic in it. The old 1980 Toyota plow truck with 10W30 fired right up like nothing though. Neither were plugged in. Just make sure you have a good battery and it should fire up. 7F isn't cold and shouldn't really bother anything. Cleaning the battery posts may very well make a difference though. Those of you with Toyota trucks with manual transfer cases who have 5 speeds will notice that you've got a Neutral on the transfer case. When its really cold I usually put the transfer case in neutral and the tranny in 3rd and let it run for a while to warm the gear oil up so it will actually shift once you get on the road.

Originally Posted By: kcfx4
seriously, 'cranking' wasnt slower? at all?

No, but I have a huge battery that is less than a year old too.

Never had a car that didn't crank at least a little bit slower when the temperatures go below zero. 0w,5w,10w-30.. didn't matter. Pressure seemed to build just fine no matter what grade.

Key is a healthy battery and good, clean connections.

Wife's car has set outside the last two days, +1F and +2F. Seemed to do fine with Motorcraft 5W20. I start it and let it run while I scrape the windows and go back in to pour the last cup of coffee for my drive. Then I back mine out and put it in the toasty 34F garage so when she leaves 2 1/2 hours later it is a bit warmed up. An occasional battery charge helps in these conditions as does a bit of idling to get the fluids going. Syn certainly does not hurt.

This morning, it was 2F on my thermometer.
I had the following start with no drama:
'09 Subaru Forester, GC 0W-30
'99 Honda Accord, M1 0W-30
'97 Honda Accord, PP 5W-30
It is supposed to be about the same or maybe a little colder overnight, so we'll see how they do in the morning.
Unless you get below zero, starting is not usually an issue.
Our typical lowest temperature over the winter is ~-10F.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back