startup experience last night at 7 degrees

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car sat outside all day at a shop when I picked it up around 9pm. It was 7 degrees out, and that car was slow to start and the geers were so hard to shift. It's an automatic, but I couldnt beleive how tight everything was. Would I have noticed much of a difference if I had synthetic oil and trans fluid in it?

Originally Posted By: addyguy
What oil DID you have in it?

What type of car?

95 chev lumina 3.1 PYB 5/30

Partly the thick oil acting like glue between the pistons & cylinders. Partly loss of battery power due to the cold temperature. Yes, syn oil would thicken less when that cold, but not that big a deal. How old is your battery? Are the battery terminals clean & tight?

Thats almost 30 deg below freezing - so its tough. The -15deg F starts scare me - luckily no more than a handful of those a year in So. NH.

You can have your 7 degrees. It got to a high of 28 today and 18 last night. I forgot to add antifreeze to my van which is running straight water, and inside the reservoir was frozen. Luckily all was fine. I'm taking a trip up to Chicago early January and I'm sure it will be plenty cold then.

To answer your question, I'd at least run a 0w-30 if not synthetic. I'm going to be doing that specifically for the trip. Hey, maybe I'll see you around.

My 7F startup experience last night was rather uneventful. I started it up and went. I have the OEM mineral fluid in the trans, and it was a bit stiff to shift, but nothing particularly alarming. Engine purred like a kitten from the first crank.

I'd be curious to see how it'd start at -15F though. But if I never see temps this low, I won't complain either.
smile.gif

7 degrees is nothing for a 5W30 synthetic or not. Syn would help a little, but not enough to notice. Don't worry about it.

how many miles on tranny fluid? do you know what fluid is in it? someone mentioned 0w30 non syn, is there such a thing?

Mark72,

7F isn't that cold so if your engine has been well maintained then with PYB 5W30 it should start up fairly well. As mentioned above you might have a weak battery or dirty battery terminals. As for the trans, how has it been serviced? Original ATF or has it been flushed a few times?

Originally Posted By: tmorris1
7 degrees is nothing for a 5W30 synthetic or not. Syn would help a little, but not enough to notice. Don't worry about it.

Agreed.

Originally Posted By: justinf89
You can have your 7 degrees. It got to a high of 28 today and 18 last night. I forgot to add antifreeze to my van which is running straight water, and inside the reservoir was frozen. Luckily all was fine. I'm taking a trip up to Chicago early January and I'm sure it will be plenty cold then.

To answer your question, I'd at least run a 0w-30 if not synthetic. I'm going to be doing that specifically for the trip. Hey, maybe I'll see you around.

Though some cringe at this, i too have had cars with water in the cold. I try to start the engine and let it run so there is never actually ICE inside the engine. The ice always melts, with enough running.

Just a thought. For when you cant buy antifreeze. Been there!

How can you guys run on plain water in the cooling system? My normal operating coolant temp is 97C... that's pretty much boiling point.

Originally Posted By: HangerHarley
Originally Posted By: justinf89

Though some cringe at this, i too have had cars with water in the cold. I try to start the engine and let it run so there is never actually ICE inside the engine. The ice always melts, with enough running.

Just a thought. For when you cant buy antifreeze. Been there!

That's a great way to destroy an engine.

It was +3F here this morning, and the Focus started right up. Engine turned over with ease, and the PS pump and tranny worked very well.

Back to the tranny, my auto f150 was slipping a bit last winter between first n second, most notably going up hill, i didnt want to fool w it in the cold, went to az bought lucas tranny fluid conditioner (not stop slip), all was well, spring rolled around changed filter and toped off w M1 ATF, all is still well

Just let it idle for 5 minutes or so with the heater Off,to warm up the engine and fluids. Syn will flow better.

"7 degrees is nothing for a 5W30 synthetic or not. Syn would help a little, but not enough to notice. "

Agreed. I run all syn, and don't really notice. Maybe... maybe the power steering.

And I know 7 is cold, but it isn't that cold.

I had a nice 4 Degree F start this morning. No issues. M1 0w-40 and standard trans. fluid. At this temp I believe batteries have less than 75% of their advertised CCA (32F) vs 0F. That said I never noticed any difference when I upgraded my old Accord from a 525 CCA battery to a 750CCA. (Battery was 5 years old)Both started on same amount of cranks, with no noticeable strain, down to 0F, and siting for up to 30 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back