Starting Issue

Ride on mower husqvarna. 1 year old battery that I keep up with trickle charger. I went to start it and wouldn't turn
over at all. Put charger on it for 10 mins come back and starts right up. Left charger on it for 2 days came back, wouldn't turn over...nothing.
5 mins on charger again and started right up.

Any thoughts?

are the terminals tight?
if so then I'd say bad battery..

some lawn and garden batteries are pretty junky.
I'd recommend a car battery if it fits.

Sounds like your charger is charging only at initial hook up and then cutting off. I would try another charger.

Clean up the contact points of the cables and the battery and make sure the cables are tight.

Check connections on your ignition switch. It's right behind the battery and tends to have intermittent connection issues there. Sometimes just pulling off the multiconductor connector off and reseating it does the trick.

I'd test the battery if the connections are clean and tight. Chances are the battery is dead. Lawn and Garden batteries, especially those that sit for long periods of time unused (like over winter) seem to die pretty quickly. I'd also check to make sure your mower is charging the battery when it's running.

A quick check you can make is bridge the two big terminals on the top of the starter solenoid, which is in the big red wire between the battery and the starter. The engine should crank when the terminals are bridged. If it does crank, that means the battery, starter, and the big wires and connections are OK. Failing to crank from the key in that case means there is a problem with the small wiring related to the key and interlock switches, or the solenoid itself.

Back