Starter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had to replace the starter in my Crown Vic. What's the estimated life span for these? I average starting it around 3-4 times a day if that makes a difference.

Thank you in advance!

I had a 94 Lincoln Town Car (which iirc had the same starter as your Crown Vic), and when I sold it with 162k miles, it was still running the original starter. Now I've got a '03 Town Car, with 142k on it, and it also is still running the factory starter. So I'd say they're pretty stout, from my experience.

Cool, thank you. Yeah, if its orig I definitely got my money's worth and have no complaints! Btw, I'm from Charlotte and never heard of Pink Hill. If I had to guess, near Asheville?

Originally Posted By: Xman77
Cool, thank you. Yeah, if its orig I definitely got my money's worth and have no complaints! Btw, I'm from Charlotte and never heard of Pink Hill. If I had to guess, near Asheville?

You're welcome... as far as where Pink Hill is, we're a little further east than Asheville, being between Greenville and Wilmington, lol.

There's no such thing called "Estimate" on starter life, for there are a few factors that will shorten their service life:

- frequent cranking (starting)
-high viscosity oil cranking in extremely cold temperature
- short trips (frequent starting)
-engine out of tune (requires longer crankind duration)
-heat (yes, starter is afraid of heat)
-build quality

Good 4 u if you get 136 kmiles out of your crown vic's starter.

Q.

I have over 170K KM (Over 100K Miles) on my Santa Fe and I drive 8-10 hours a day for my job and probably start the engine about 7-8 times a day and have been for the past 3 years and it's fine... That's over 7,000 Starts in brutally cold and hot humid summers.
grin2.gif

I guess it's more luck of the draw than anything else...
thumbsup2.gif

Still on my original at 220k miles in my Integra (100 miles daily commute, and 900 miles SF/LA round trip every other week for about 4 years, so minimal starting)

But in my corolla it lasted only 70k miles with less then 4 miles a day.

I'd say a lot of times it isn't how many miles that are on the vehicle as how many times the starter was used. You can use a starter as much in 100000 miles as you can in 200000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back