Starter ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having a problem with my starter, I think? The car starts fine, however every so often it seems like for a split second the starter spins just a tiny bit too long. The key is not sticking, its happend about 3 times in the last 15 or so starts. Is it time for a starter?

Pop is out of town so I can't ask him till next week sometime.

TIA
AD

sticking solenoid. you can fix that without replacing the starter. usually involves cleaning off the plunger and re-oiling it (with ATF not motor oil)

I would check the solenoid and all electrical connections related to the starter before thinking the starter is needing replacement.

Does it worsen when the engine is hot/cold ?

Originally Posted By: hal
sticking solenoid. you can fix that without replacing the starter. usually involves cleaning off the plunger and re-oiling it (with ATF not motor oil)

Prior to '92, the 3.0 Aero had the style that Ford had used for decades. After '92, they used the starter that had the round solenoid mounted to the case that GM had used.
His starter will be determined by the year of his van.

Once in awhile you will get a ridge on the armature at the rear of the bendix. Imagine a splined shaft twisting slightly and a sliding gear hanging/sticking at that point. This can cause it to hang in the engaged position as well.

The year is 93, solenoid is on top of the starter. Everything is tight, battery is about 1 Y/O and in great shape. It doesn't matter if the engine is hot or cold, and it hasn't been a problem today. The starter is a re-build about 4 years old. I just don't want it to go out to lunch on me when I'm far from home.

AD

Originally Posted By: ADFD1
The year is 93, solenoid is on top of the starter. Everything is tight, battery is about 1 Y/O and in great shape. It doesn't matter if the engine is hot or cold, and it hasn't been a problem today. The starter is a re-build about 4 years old. I just don't want it to go out to lunch on me when I'm far from home.

AD

I'm on my fourth Aerostar. I'm guessing you have a bad starter, but if the problem is intermittant, you'll have one heck of a time tracking down exactly what the problems is. My advice is to double check all connections and if nothing is obvious, get a new one.

I just checked every thing a third time, nothing is bad all connections are good. I'll just swap the starter, it will cost me less than a tow.

AD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back