Starter bike?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay. I want to go biking!

Currently, I have a plain 12 year old CCM (yes, the hockey company) mountain bike.

I want an affordable (under 500 bucks), something easy on my bad back (shocks are my friend), mostly comfort riding, though I might take it doen a rough trail or two...

Opinions?

I know you want a full suspension bike but, if buying new at that price-point, you'd be far better off looking for a good hard-tail. High-volume tires can help the ride a lot. You'll also get a much better grade of components on a $500 hard-tail, rather than a $500 FS.

If it's got to be a FS, then see what you can find in a good used bike. There are loads of guys who go crazy on a bike purchase and then realize it's just not for them. Their poor judgment could be your good fortune...

If the Fusion had a Toyota badge the sheep would hump it in a parking lot.-Milwaukee

I love that quote..........
LOL.gif

Hardtail front suspension is the answer. Trek, Fisher, Cannondale, Marin, Specialized (among others) all have front suspension bikes in your price range. Don't expect anything fancy.

Bikesdirect.com is good if you don't mind a little basic assembly out of the box. Their prices are tough to beat.

I would say go with a front suspension (hardtail) as well. If you have any Sports Authority stores around, they have the Iron Horse Quantum. Bikesdirect.com as someone listed above is a good choice as well, you get good components for the price.

Originally Posted By: lpcmidst128
I would say go with a front suspension (hardtail) as well. If you have any Sports Authority stores around, they have the Iron Horse Quantum. Bikesdirect.com as someone listed above is a good choice as well, you get good components for the price.

Kinda far...but I will check it out...

Thanks for the help guys....

What about a good bike seat?

I am an over the hill bike rider pushing 70. We have two Trek Comfort bikes, A Fuji Petal forward design, and a Diamondback mountain bike that has been semi-converted into a Comfort Bike.

Wife likes the Fuji Petal forward bike a lot.

We ride 6 or 7 days a week year around here for 30 minutes an hour mainly in the neighborhood.

The Fuji Petal forward design is easy on the back and even though it does not have any shocks, rides very smooth.

The seat that comes with a Comfort Bike should fit your needs just fine.

Best place to buy a bike is @ a local bike shop. It may cost a bit more but in the long run the service is worth it.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs

No question about it, get a Specialized Body Geometry saddle. They use a memory foam pad to measure your pelvis, to ensure you get exactly the right size for you. Trying one saddle after another, looking for that proper fit, is nothing but a waste of money. Don't ask how I learned this...

If it tells you anything, I now use Body Geometry equipment exclusively. Riding is fun, pain is not. Now I can ride a century and not have any issues with my knees or backside. It's bliss!

Cheers

Originally Posted By: rshunter
Originally Posted By: daves87rs

No question about it, get a Specialized Body Geometry saddle. They use a memory foam pad to measure your pelvis, to ensure you get exactly the right size for you. Trying one saddle after another, looking for that proper fit, is nothing but a waste of money. Don't ask how I learned this...

If it tells you anything, I now use Body Geometry equipment exclusively. Riding is fun, pain is not. Now I can ride a century and not have any issues with my knees or backside. It's bliss!

Cheers

Very cool! I'm going to check that out too...

Originally Posted by wantin150
Front suspension and add a suspension seatpost.

+1 Hardtail and a suspension post
smile.gif

For that money there are no good FS bikes. A good rear shock alone will cost your budget ...

OK, I was a bit harsh. But to get a light'ish responsive bike that is fun to pedal with full suspension at that price point is really tough. Drop buy KevCentral on YouTube and see his reviews of inexpensive bikes. He has some decent MTBs in that price range.

I think the carbon Hyper (brand) from Wally World direct (usually not in stores) will work as a starting point ... You can upgrade bits over time. Since most of a riders weight is on the rear wheel, it's the rear suspension that needs the help. You can buy a good used Fox Float RL shock off eBay for like $80 or so. Adjusted with the right air pressure, it will be like riding on a cloud compared to what comes on inexpensive bikes.

For seat comfort check into suspension seat posts. I like Bodyfloat, there are others.

Under 500 good luck at a bike store, unless yours are different than those in KC area. I'd look at the Nishiki's at ****'s Sporting Goods. The trick to this is looking while the mechanic is on duty. The mechanic at where I bought mine was a experienced pro, built, greased everything with the bike. 1200 miles on mine with no issue's. They had shock versions but the model I got was a Manitoba.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back