Started up my 20 year old lawnmower after 12 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

PT1

My yard is 2 acres and I have it cut by a landscaper. Still have my 1989 MTD B&S mower from the last home we left in 1997. It has been sitting in my garage in the corner since then. Every once in a while over the past 12 years I would walk by it and just pull the starter cord to rotate the engine a bit. But the last time it ran was in 1997. I am now painting my garage and had to move it. So I poured a small amount of gas in it and pulled the cord once and it fired right up..
shocked2.gif
I let it get hot and then drained the very black 30w oil and refilled with ST 30w. Then I let it run for 15 minutes until it ran out of fuel.

I was amazed that it started on the first pull. SO, I'll change the oil again in 2021. How's that for an extended OCI?
grin2.gif

The deck has to be nearly rusted through so I'll take your problem off your hands and open up some space for you in the garage. $20 picked up sound alright?

When you store it be sure and pull it into a compression stroke - that way both valves are closed keeping the valve seats and piston bore sealed up and the valve springs in a relaxed position.

This tidbit of info comes from a Honda generator maintenance manual. Makes sense to me....

Originally Posted By: double vanos
When you store it be sure and pull it into a compression stroke - that way both valves are closed keeping the valve seats and piston bore sealed up and the valve springs in a relaxed position.

This tidbit of info comes from a Honda generator maintenance manual. Makes sense to me....

Very good to know!
thumbsup2.gif
Thanks!

Take the spark plug out and slowly turn the engine over until you see the top of the piston as close to the spark plug hole as possible without then moving away.

You can also feel it if you pull the cord slowly. When it starts to tighten up that's when it's getting compressed. If it then loosens you have gone too far.

cheers3.gif

A good concept, but I would think it's much more beneficial to give the recoil an occasional pull than stress about leaving the engine at a compression stroke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back