started car with battery maintainer still connected and plugged in--OK right?

Specifically, I have a NOCO Genius5, and it was connected to the car, when I started it. I thought, DOH!! But I believe it should be idiot proof, right? Maybe backfeed proof is the term?

p.s. I have a WFCO 55A RV power supply that is more of a power supply, not sure if that would be ok or not? I scored it for $125 during 2020, and glad I grabbed it, prices have skyrocketed...

:)

yes it would just shut off if it was charging and the voltage jumps to 14 or whatever the alternator is putting out.
Even a dumb battery charger would be ok. You just disconnect it reasonably quick.

This is an older thread, but not that old. Cautionary tale. I think my Noco Genius 1 was damaged doing this. I'd done it a bunch in the past with the same car (The Acura) and the same charger, and never had a problem until this weekend. Car has been sitting in the garage for a couple weeks, hooked up to the charger. Started it, unplugged the charger, moved the car, later in the day brought the car back in and reconnected and a few days later noticed the charger was still 'breathing' red as they do when they're charging. No output voltage on the charger in any mode. Charging system in the car checks out just as it always has.

Back