Started a big job on the Carrera

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Trav
No it doesn't seem to be the best idea to me either the more I thing about how its working.

EPS has a few half-cocked designs.

Their pressure feed design, their bearing design, their "crankshaft support" bearing, and their reaming kit for the 05+ engines all strike me as well intentioned but ill-conceived.

Update:

Measure the transmission before trying to remove it while the car is on jackstands. My stands will not go high enough safely. I considered making some wooden platforms for my stands but then I'm not sure my jack will get the car that high. I'll either have the IMS done at a later date or I will pull it all down again on a friend's lift.

The good news: my RMS is not leaking, nor is the IMS cover. The case bolts are the updated version and my clutch is as new as the previous owner said.

It's together and going back on the ground tonight, as soon as the sump plate sealant cures.

As far as I know it involved some tricky work (for me) with the oil pump and I did not explore it further because lack of lubrication is not the issue in my opinion. If I could do it over again, I would pass or just buy an OE NSK bearing off of Amazon.

Roofless- I think a previous owner already did the work. One does not dig into the engine just to replace the flange and update a bolt LOL

Originally Posted by willbur
Roofless- I think a previous owner already did the work. One does not dig into the engine just to replace the flange and update a bolt LOL

Here's hoping.

I feel like such a bonehead! Time to buy a lift...

Originally Posted by wings&wheels
there are worse ways to spend an hour or so.....

It took me the better part of yesterday to R&R the trans...

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

Roofless-
you were 90% of the way there! Dropping the exhaust and transmission are the most labor intensive part of the whole job..

Wouldn't using a angular-contact ball bearing be an better idea than that EPS roller bearing? Or Porsche has switched over to a ceramic bearing with angular races?

Originally Posted by willbur
Originally Posted by rooflessVW

Roofless-
you were 90% of the way there! Dropping the exhaust and transmission are the most labor intensive part of the whole job..

Yeah I know. It's all back together again and I'm waiting for the sealant to cure. I'm pretty frustrated with the whole thing. I probably should have persevered but my emotions got the better of me. No exhaust drop needed on the 996 though, nothing was in the way there.

Originally Posted by nthach
Wouldn't using a angular-contact ball bearing be an better idea than that EPS roller bearing? Or Porsche has switched over to a ceramic bearing with angular races?

Yeah, I don't like the EPS design at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back