Start/Stall Issue 2014 Elantra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lack of fuel pressure or the crank position sensor shouldn't cause that lack of compression during cranking. Maybe if it flooded itself badly enough it could affect compression during cranking? Is this a GDI engine or just MPI?

My issue happened again this afternoon. Died, had the "no compression sounding" crank, X3, then I waited about two minutes, tried again, got the "one cylinder kick", did that at two minute intervals for 3 more starts. Then if grumbled to life, not unlike that of an old recip aircraft engine (minus all the smoke, of course). Once it stayed running, it ran perfect, and would not duplicate issue. Happens only when cold.

Possibly the variable cam timing units are at fault, thereby advancing or retarding the intake/exhaust cams and staying intermittently stuck. If there's huge overlap of intake and exhaust timing during cranking, you will get the "no compression" symptom.

I would disconnect the vvt solenoids and see if that makes any difference. The pcm should default to default position of the cam advance, but of course will generate a code, or at least it should.
The beginning of this video shows the locations and it looks like the solenoids themselves are quite easy to replace, if needed.

Originally Posted by Propflux01
Once it stayed running, it ran perfect, and would not duplicate issue. Happens only when cold.

Move to Miami Beach. Problem solved!
banana2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back