Start button Windows 10

Chester11

Hey folks:

I'm having an issue where my start button stopped working. I can right click, but a left click does nothing after the system goes to sleep.

I have read that uninstalling dropbox can fix it. (I have updated drivers, and tried everything short of reinstalling windows or creating a new admin account).

Anyone else having the problem?

I don't quite follow you. In order to left or right-click you'd have to first wake the pc. How do you click on the Start Menu icon while the pc is asleep? Or do you mean to say you can't wake the pc by clicking or by moving the mouse? If so, go into the Mouse Settings -->Properties --> Power Management and allow the mouse to wake up the PC.

Have you tried this:

Try turning off the USB selective suspend setting.

1.) Access the control panel

2.) Select hardware and sound

3.) Select Power Options

4.) Select change plan settings for what ever power plan you are using

5.) Select change advanced power settings

6.) Select USB settings on the pop up menu

7.) Select USB selective suspend setting and change to Disabled.

It looks like the only option turned on is hybrid sleep. sleep and hybernate are both turned off. usb selective suspend is also off.

Here is what happens - the display turns off, and a usb disconnect / reconnect sounder starts on repeat. when you "wake" the display back up with a keyboard tap, the start button does not work. (right click on start works.)

I thought it was a bad usb device, so I replaced items, and updated drivers. (I posted a separate thread a while back). it also could be my backblaze backup software keeping the system alive (my new theory anyway).

Is there a way to reinstall windows without having to spend hours fixing settings?

The screen is black - and it is making beeping sounds. I can only assume the display is off and the computer is awake.
If the display is asleep, but the computer isn't, then the red led light on the mouse should still be on. Look at the bottom of the mouse to verify. I would check your display settings to see if there are sleep/wake-up settings for the display that need tweaking. Typically, a movenent of the mouse should wake-up the screen.

What computer and monitor manufacturer, as well as desktop or laptop with docking station? We have Lenovo's as our primary PCs at work, they have had numerous issues with the monitors flickering on and off as well as not waking from shutoff or sleep. Most of the issues are with the laptops and the docking stations, which requires updated firmware for the docks and then driver updates for the laptops. Check your drivers and firmware first to make sure there aren't any new drivers that can correct issues like this.

If the display is asleep, but the computer isn't, then the red led light on the mouse should still be on. Look at the bottom of the mouse to verify. I would check your display settings to see if there are sleep/wake-up settings for the display that need tweaking. Typically, a movenent of the mouse should wake-up the screen.
Yes. Mouse is still red. I think when I turned off wake on USB, only the keyboard wakes it up.

I tried an updated graphics driver. Not a fix.

(It's an MSI Motherboard, with an old Atvia display)

Yes. Mouse is still red. I think when I turned off wake on USB, only the keyboard wakes it up.

I tried an updated graphics driver. Not a fix.

(It's an MSI Motherboard, with an old Atvia display)
What was it doing if you enable wake on USB? Is your keyboard not USB?

so more info here. i reset settings to default.

it does wake on mouse movement - but very slowly - it does not respond right away. keyboard is faster. (both are USB).

I installed freeware software call USBlogview. It supposedly tracks a USB device being plugged and unplugged.

Nothing shows in the logs when the screen dims, so I remain confused.

so far I have reinstalled itunes, sound drivers, usb hub drivers. the monitor driver is a generic microsoft driver.

next step is going to be trying a different monitor.

Back