Starbucks stops 'Race Together' campaign on cups

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only had Starbucks once in my life, it was so bad I can remember the day.... 2003 at the Charlotte NC airport and I was soooo disappointed.

But if someone talked to me about race at any store, I would politely tell them I don't want a stranger pestering me about a topic I don't want to talk about.

Originally Posted By: Evanson
Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Yes, and if you're referring to nations in Africa, it's not really about African states because they are largely arbitrary European colonial constructs devoid of natural barriers, common ethnicites/tribes, common sense, etc...

The recipe for disaster was sewn long ago. That in no way however is meant to apologize for the stupid [censored] African gov'ts that are/were corrupt shills run by strongmen...

Listening to Malcolm X talk about history is very very educational. Some of what he says would come as a surprise to many.

It's a pity he isn't referred to more especially in schools. Although there is always the risk that what he said can be referred to selectively.

We learned all about Malcolm X in school. How he was like Martin Luther King Jr, even! One of the local restaurants has that as their WiFi password.

What we did not learn was that he would kill people because they were white, and only because they were white. We were not taught that the Black Panthers were a militant Islamic group.

I talked to someone who would have been a "first degree" connection of the Black Panthers. She was perfectly fine with the fact that Malcolm X killed white people because they needed killing. Somehow, that is not akin to KKK ?

I don't get it. There's people. That is all there is no me. I don't care what "race", what religion, what sexuality, what gender ... if you're a good person, I like you. If you are not - I don't like you.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I only had Starbucks once in my life, it was so bad I can remember the day.... 2003 at the Charlotte NC airport and I was soooo disappointed.

But if someone talked to me about race at any store, I would politely tell them I don't want a stranger pestering me about a topic I don't want to talk about.

I had something there once - Vente cinquento alto cinco rio grande something or another. Was like a ice cream coffee thing. Was pretty good!

But like any chain (DD, Tim Horton), I felt like I had contracted diabetes after.

Is there a mental hospital in Mittelfranken? Dennis Miller there is a career going through the ceiling. Will Dennis appear anywhere in Mittlefranken De. ?

Airport kiosk are the worst. Our local hospital has one as well where my wife used to work. Horrible too, not run by the company just franchised out I guess. Kinda like the B&N book stores.

Recently they started using this machine in select stores. Expensive and I would not get it often but man if some of those coffees aren't fabulous tasting.

http://www.starbucks.com/coffee/learn/clover

Great we have sources here on a motor oil website that can zero in on the essential cause of things happening! How about insight on making bread?

Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
Great we have sources here on a motor oil website that can zero in on the essential cause of things happening! How about insight on making bread?

We all come from different walks of life, have experienced different things and have various education diversity.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Was this a failed marketing ploy to get more minorities / black customers into Starbucks locations ?

Starbucks ribs and Chicken !!!

Now proudly accepting EBT cards :^)

Originally Posted By: Nyati
Originally Posted By: R80RS
Originally Posted By: Evanson

But it got people...thinking.

Yeah, thinking about where else to go rather than Starbucks to get coffee.

+1
and another +1

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Was this a failed marketing ploy to get more minorities / black customers into Starbucks locations ?

crackmeup2.gif
Plus a 50% discount for minorities and illegals, that will really pack em in.

Originally Posted By: Trav

crackmeup2.gif

Then I'd really be kicking myself for selling the stock.

So....taking a step back here...what is it EXACTLY that Starbucks (and a few bitog members) think needs to be accomplished by "talking" about race? Aren't race issues ALREADY being talked about CONSTANTLY in the media...our places of employment...schools....and just about everywhere else?
What is it we are SUPPOSED to conclude with these often pathetic discussions? What is the point? An understanding of what?
To be blunt....because I am caucasian, I must be racist about my opinions about a particular ethnicity because THAT ethnicity has continued to exhibit a disproportionate amount of crime, violence, and general disrespect for being decent members of American society? My judgements, based on a lifetime of experience, makes me a racist? So...because I have this opinion....I need to "talk" about it with whom?
I think the "discussions" need to go on inside the ethnic entity itself. These people need to ask themselves questions about WHY they behave a certain way in such numbers...and how to go about fixing it. It isn't up to me, or others that share a similar opinion, to accept more poor behavior.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
So....taking a step back here...what is it EXACTLY that Starbucks (and a few bitog members) think needs to be accomplished by "talking" about race? Aren't race issues ALREADY being talked about CONSTANTLY in the media...our places of employment...schools....and just about everywhere else?
What is it we are SUPPOSED to conclude with these often pathetic discussions? What is the point? An understanding of what?
To be blunt....because I am caucasian, I must be racist about my opinions about a particular ethnicity because THAT ethnicity has continued to exhibit a disproportionate amount of crime, violence, and general disrespect for being decent members of American society? My judgements, based on a lifetime of experience, makes me a racist? So...because I have this opinion....I need to "talk" about it with whom?
I think the "discussions" need to go on inside the ethnic entity itself. These people need to ask themselves questions about WHY they behave a certain way in such numbers...and how to go about fixing it. It isn't up to me, or others that share a similar opinion, to accept more poor behavior.

Very well put!

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Very well put!

I agree. This is very well put. I thought it was silly myself when I heard about Starbucks employees being encouraged to discuss race relations with people who came in to the Starbucks Stores. That could even cause problems with some people perhaps becoming disruptive and perhaps even fights taking place.

I was attacked for saying this, but I still think that if a person treats everybody as an individual, you can't be a racist very easily. A nice, simple solution.

Last edited:

Agreed. I had never heard of Ferguson or Rodney King or even MLK until Starbucks got the conversation rolling.
wink.gif

And Mystic, I agree with your solution completely. A person is a person first, and a member of some other group secondly.

Originally Posted By: Trav

crackmeup2.gif

There's that racist tone we were all waiting for....

Thing is that although "people" are "people" the fact is that there ARE distinct racial groups and ethnicities and they do share unique culture, heritage, and even genetic traits.

Those genetic traits affect intelligence, strengths and weaknesses both physical and mental, health, and temperament they are programmed into us. Like it or not this natural evolution is normal and healthy amongst humans.

I'm Anglo Saxon White, not "Caucasian" (not from the caucuses) and I make no apologies for that fact. If not for us NOBODY would likely be driving a car today, enjoying modern conveniences like electricity, or that amazing little computer we are using to post on forums like this.

Last edited:
I don't buy that, we are all a product of our environment. You live in a stupid community that breeds stupidity you will get just that.

All pointing the differences out in everyone proves is humans divide themselves. We are humans first, racial and ethnic groups second. Call it Utopian Idealism if you must but there is no excuse to insult someones intelligence just because in your opinion they come from a genetically inferior racial group.

To counter your Anglo Saxon White comment,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vivien_Thomas

Originally Posted By: Thermo1223
I don't buy that, we are all a product of our environment. You live in a stupid community that breeds stupidity you will get just that.

All pointing the differences out in everyone proves is humans divide themselves. We are humans first, racial and ethnic groups second. Call it Utopian Idealism if you must but there is no excuse to insult someones intelligence just because in your opinion they come from a genetically inferior racial group.

To counter your Anglo Saxon White comment,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vivien_Thomas

Now wait, where did I "insult" another racial group? You are reading things into what I said, but many are defensive because THEY themselves feel they are inferior to another racial group. That is NOT my problem nor did I create it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back