STALUBE GL4 vers GL5

Status
Not open for further replies.
The big debate on not using a GL-5 when calling for a GL-4 80w90 gear oil peaked my interest up to see what difference would a person see between the two given oils so here is two gear oils, both from STA LUBE, one GL-4 85w90 the other GL-5 80w90 straight from the bottle.

code:

ADDITIVES GL-4 GL-5

MO 1 0

PH 440 1103

ZINC 9 12

MAG 0 0

CAL 23 13

SUL 0 5

Notice that the real difference between the two is the PH. Just what you'd expect to see.

edited sulfur

[ December 05, 2002, 12:15 PM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

You guys are confusing me, is PH phosphorus?

Maybe I need a new Periodic Table.

BTW, what's the correct spelling of element 39?

Yittrium, Yitrium, Yitterbium? I've got 3 periodic charts handy and each has their own way of spelling this important element.
confused.gif

It would have instructuve to see the sulfur levels as well as the phosphorus, since it is both of these components that provide the EP protection. Ph of GL5 is approx. twice that of GL4,
as stated before, and I would expect the sulfur to be approx. the same.

quote:

Originally posted by satterfi:
You guys are confusing me, is PH phosphorus?

Maybe I need a new Periodic Table.

BTW, what's the correct spelling of element 39?

Yittrium, Yitrium, Yitterbium? I've got 3 periodic charts handy and each has their own way of spelling this important element.
confused.gif

I was abv the names, first two letters of property ph not using the elemental table abv's sorry.

Al,

Most Gear Oils use phosphate esters for the phosphorous additive and esters of sulfurized fatty acids for the sulfurs.

[ December 06, 2002, 08:46 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back