Stainless steel grill care

I have a new grill. A magnet sticks lightly so its not great stainless. But what should i use to protect it? Collonite? Not on the food surfaces i mean.

And does a cover keep moisture and cause more problems than no cover?

Thanks
IMG_20210506_162734094.jpg

Nice! I bought my Weber e320 5 years ago and sprung for the Weber cover at the time. IMO a good cover is worth the money. My grill gets a lot of direct sun and radiant heat from my East facing deck until about noon. Not to mention rain and snow protection. My cover is still in great shape and I have never had any moisture or condensation problems. I’ve never waxed/polished my grill and it still looks pretty good. Did you get the rotisserie as well? The rotisserie along with the tru infrared option is the bomb for whole chickens! 🍔 👍

Nice! I bought my Weber e320 5 years ago and sprung for the Weber cover at the time. IMO a good cover is worth the money. My grill gets a lot of direct sun and radiant heat from my East facing deck until about noon. Not to mention rain and snow protection. My cover is still in great shape and I have never had any moisture or condensation problems. I’ve never waxed/polished my grill and it still looks pretty good. Did you get the rotisserie as well? The rotisserie along with the tru infrared option is the bomb for whole chickens! 🍔 👍
Thanks, no rotisserie, i use a smoker for most whole birds. I will look into a good cover then. Thanks.

I have had an all stainless grill for the last 20 years. I wash and wax it like I do my vehicles. It still looks great. I don't even bother with a cover. It sits out in the weather year round. I bought it 50% off at Sears when my Wife and I were just married.

A good stainless steel cleaner/protectant, coupled with a grill cover. ZEP or Wegemans make them and they have some type of oil. What ever you do,q never use steel wool, or scotch brite to clean your grill exterior they will scratch the beejeesus out of it. Microfiber or cotton only. Also while the SS may not rust pay attention to the area around the tank or the interior those are usually mild steel. A quick wash and some wd40 will keep rust ar bay

Last edited:
My advise with 'any' grill is; have some sort of standard of cleanliness (inside the Grill where the food goes).
Don't figure just because it's a backyard grill, it doesn't need to be cleaned.

And learn how to use it and make your family proud.

Last edited:
I designed a structure for a large smoker (fits a piglet) and a built in for gas grill next to it. The grill is a stainless DCS and is about 15 years old. Excuse the work in progress backyard as it's a little messy! My house is a lot higher than most around and we ger some rather strong winds. No cover will stay put so it has been uncovered for probably 14 years :oops: I haven't cleaned it this year. What you see is a full NorthEast winter and pollen. I've only used BarKeepers soft cleanser and it works very well. Much better than the powder counterpart.

Those of you with an eye, I built them as 2 separate units. You can see the line of separation. Should have built them at same time and had the stone cross the joint line.....Is what it is.

Cooker.jpg
BarKeeper.jpg

My advise with 'any' grill is; have some sort of standard of cleanliness (inside the Grill where the food goes).
Don't figure just because it's a backyard grill, it doesn't need to be cleaned.

And learn how to use it and make your family proud.
Your reply has nothing to do with the question posed.

I designed a structure for a large smoker (fits a piglet) and a built in for gas grill next to it. The grill is a stainless DCS and is about 15 years old. Excuse the work in progress backyard as it's a little messy! My house is a lot higher than most around and we ger some rather strong winds. No cover will stay put so it has been uncovered for probably 14 years :oops: I haven't cleaned it this year. What you see is a full NorthEast winter and pollen. I've only used BarKeepers soft cleanser and it works very well. Much better than the powder counterpart.

Those of you with an eye, I built them as 2 separate units. You can see the line of separation. Should have built them at same time and had the stone cross the joint line.....Is what it is.

View attachment 56326View attachment 56327
That's an awesome setup!

Thanks

I have had an all stainless grill for the last 20 years. I wash and wax it like I do my vehicles. It still looks great. I don't even bother with a cover. It sits out in the weather year round. I bought it 50% off at Sears when my Wife and I were just married.

Hmm you have me thinking. I am about to drop way too much coin for 2 new burners and ceramic rolls for my DCS. I just might follow your lead and after I clean it with BarKeepers wax it. Any specific wax? I use Mother's carnuba. Not any ultra fancy wax but it has done well for me for many years so I keep using it.

Hmm you have me thinking. I am about to drop way too much coin for 2 new burners and ceramic rolls for my DCS. I just might follow your lead and after I clean it with BarKeepers wax it. Any specific wax? I use Mother's carnuba. Not any ultra fancy wax but it has done well for me for many years so I keep using it.
Ironically I have also been using Mother's Carnuba Wax. If you go this route make sure you get one with Stainless burners. Some brands cheap out. The only thing I have to keep an eye on is the hose going to the tank and the drip tray. The drip tray is steel on mine. It's always covered with grease so it has lasted. My Brother in Law after buying many replacement grills finally came around and bought one too.

The firebox is the key component of the grill. Cast aluminum or 304 Stainless steel are the best. Also the most expensive.

Back